PDA

View Full Version : spray in bed liner

diesel lover
07-29-2005, 02:30
have a question reguarding spray in bed liners and installation of 5th wheel hitch. should I spray the bed before installing the hitch or after and shoot the whole works? or just do the rails and not the hitch? :confused:

JimEd
07-29-2005, 03:12
I am having my bed lineXed before the hitch and then having undercoating sprayed on after the hitch. That way I don't have to pull the hitch out to spray the bed liner and will get the drilled areas coated with the undercoating.

arveetek
07-29-2005, 07:58
I have seen it done both ways, but I prefer having the liner sprayed in before installing the hitch rails. I think it looks better, and you can still remove the rails and have a good looking liner left behind if you should sell or trade the truck later on.

I've installed quite a few hitches in my RV business, and a lot of them have been on top of the liner. I haven't had any problems as a result of doing it that way. The liner is only a 1/4" thick, and very durable, so there is no movement between the rails and bed floor.

Casey

dmaxmule
07-31-2005, 04:02
It is according to which hitch you are using. If you use the B&W turnoverball & 5th wheel companion I would install the b&w turnoverball first and then have the liner sprayed in. Then, the 5th wheel companion will just set in on top of the liner. Also, drill the hole for the trailer plug, spray then put the plug in for the trailer wiring plug in the bed. Doing it this way gives it a cleaner look around the hitch and trailer plug.

This is the way I done my hitch, and it looks good. I have had plenty of compliments on the way it turned out. By the way, I have the B&W turnover ball and a Linex spray in liner as will every fullsize truck that I have from now on. :D
Thanks dmaxmule

diesel lover
07-31-2005, 06:20
Thanks for the help gang. Also the local shop that I visited is pushing the permatech spray in liner. Looks really good. Lifetime warranty etc. Has anybody had any experience using this one? :rolleyes:

DmaxMaverick
07-31-2005, 07:20
Spray-in bedliners are permanent. Hitches are not. If there ever comes a time you will remove the hitch hardware, for whatever reason, you will wish you sprayed the liner under it. If you sell the truck, you may want to keep your hitch, and that would leave an ugly scar where the hitch was. Your prospective buyer may not like that. If you are using a rail system, like most fifth wheel hitches, having that barier between the hardware and the bed will add durability, and perhaps some added vibration/sound insulation.

As far as which one....
All are good. They each have their ups/downs. If you are undecided on the merits, consider the warranties and read the fine print. Most are lifetime. Some are lifetime to only the original purchaser. Some are limited to "defects" only. All but one is limited to service/repair only at the original installer.

With that said, there is only one smart choice if you travel, move, or ever sell the truck (and want to pass the benefit on to the buyer). Line-X. It's warranty is nationwide, meaning you can have repairs made at any Line-X dealer, and it is transferable to other than original purchasers. I know this reads like a brocure add, but it isn't. It's the result of my own research. I (or anyone I know) get zero compensation from anyone for the statement.

BozDMAX
08-01-2005, 14:42
I have a Turnover Ball Hitch (by B&W) so no rails to fool with, but if I was doing it, I would

1) Install rails and hitch
2) Remove rails and hitch
3) Spray
4) Reinstall.

Agree with Maverick on the Line-X. Warranty is the best and you will probably never have to use it! I have been wondering if it would make good waterproofing on a basement foundation wall...

Mudflap
08-02-2005, 01:22
I have 108,000 miles on my truck. I have had Line-X for five years and have hauled gravel, cement blocks, bricks, cement and the list goes on. I also slide my fifth wheel hitch across the bed when I take it in and out. When I wash out my bed it looks new! The Line-X is literally unmarked. It is the only one that goes in hot and I have no complaints.

diesel lover
08-11-2005, 10:08
Thanks guys. Computer was down for a few days so I couldn't reply. :( Installing the rails first seems to be a really good idea. then removing them and having the whole thing sprayed in. And then reinstalling the rails. Think I will use this way. :cool: