PDA

View Full Version : Proper tool for tightening ball???

GMC Hauler
07-16-2005, 08:22
I took the travel trailer out this week for a family vacation. Got the Reese Dual HP Sway Controls installed. If you don't have these already, towing with and without is like night and day. Gone are the day of white knuckling the steering wheel.

Anyway, I was hitching up and noticed my ball deflected. Turns out the ball was loose. My neighboor had the same problem. Took it to an RV dealer and they tightened it up.

I'm guessing I should be carrying a tool to tighten this. The ball is 2 5/8", and I believe the nut size is 1 7/8. I have had a hard time finding a wrench to do the job. What should I be looking for, where, and what is the cost???

Thanks

rjschoolcraft
07-16-2005, 08:55
Correction, the ball size is 2 5/16".

You can use anything, including a pipe wrench or crescent wrench or 3/4" drive socket set. Whatever will do the job. I typically hold the ball with either a pipe wrench or the vise, then use the crescent wrench or socket set to tighten the nut.

tanker
07-17-2005, 14:14
I used a 1" Drive breaker bar on mine, with a 2" x 4 foot pipe. :rolleyes: Its tight! :D As Ronnie Joe said its a 2-5/16" ball. ;) Ya don't need a loose ball anywhere. :D

GMC Hauler
07-17-2005, 15:13
Found a 1 7/8" socket and 3/4 drive. Couldn't get a pipe wrench around the nut, but use one to hold the ball. Tightened it up. Works fine, last's long time.

Realized it was 2 5/16 after you posted. Good catch.

Thanks for your help RJ and Tanker.

TJ Moose
07-18-2005, 07:01
If you have a few extra bucks around - perhaps consider getting an impact gun. When I went to a larger ball - a buddy of mine working at the trailer place hit it with that - ball tight in about 15 seconds - slicker than snot on a doorknob. Like pickup trucks and extra closet space - you'll find all kinds of uses for it once you have one.

Craig M
07-18-2005, 10:46
A 24" pipe wrench with a 4' or so long piece of 2" pipe to extend its length works fine.

GMC Hauler
07-18-2005, 17:56
Have an air impact gun.... But

Won't help me tighten it on the road if it comes loose on my trip across country.

I could get a pipe wrench on the nut on my Dodge Ram, but couldn't get one on this Reese hitch. It has a platform that molds around the nut, which privides clearance but not too much clearance for tools.
I just checked, I have a 14" pipe wrench. Oh well. It works.

DmaxMad
07-19-2005, 12:45
As for the impact on the road, ever considered a power tank. My Jeep buddy's run impacts on them for trail repairs frequently.

GMC Hauler
07-19-2005, 19:14
Have thought about it, but not a priority now. smile.gif

moondoggie
07-20-2005, 05:07
Good Day!

I always carry a 1/2" breaker bar with the socket for the 1 7/8" & 2" hitch balls, & a 3/4" breaker bar with the socket for the 2 5/16" hitch balls. I keep them under the back seat (my 95 is extended cab), or bring them with when we use the Sub (not often). I bought them at Sears, so they're lifetime warranty Craftsman - probably not the best quality available, but good enough for me.

I seem to be able to get enough leverage with these breaker bars to get the hitch ball tight enough - I've only ever had one come loose, & I anti-seize the threads. At the very least, with these under the seat, it's real easy to check how tight they are every now & then; since it's easy, I actually do it once in awhile. ;)

When I need these breaker bars for other work, they're right there under the seat.

Loose balls are always bad :eek: -'nuff said.

Blessings!

DmaxCC6spd
07-21-2005, 07:15
I just bought a new ball and mount. Spec say 415 ft-lbs. Does anybody bother to use a torque wrench?

dcalex
08-06-2005, 14:03
I use a large Crescent wrench and a 3' cheater bar...take the hitch out of the reciever and turn it sideways and slide it back into the reciever....put the cheater on and jump on it.....turn it 180 to take it off the same way....No back sprains.....just don't fall off the cheater. tongue.gif