PDA

View Full Version : Fuel feed line installation help

ees
07-28-2004, 17:53
So the cavernous hole that is my truck continues to suck me dry. The fuel lines that run from the lift pump (and just above for the return) are both in bad shape. This truck being new to me I did not discover this until I put 37 gallons in the tank. Now I have the truck back in my driveway with multiple drain pans catching the diesel. The air on that side of my house reeks of diesel.

So I have my two fuel lines from the dealer. The feed line looks exactly like what is in the truck. The return line is different once it reaches the back of the block. Since I have had a set of Helm manuals backordered for 3 months now and they can't tell me when they will arrive I am stuck. Can someone help me? Can anyone look in their shop manual for a similar year and describe (or scan, or fax, or mail me) where the return line ties into the fuel system on the engine?

The current setup goes from hard line to hose at the very back of the engine. Then it changes again to hard line and runs parrallel to the passenger side head under the manifold. Then it switches to hose again and ties into the front hard cross pipe that goes to each back of injectors. This cross pipe also has a hose that goes to the inj pump.

The dealer part is hard all the way to a threaded fitting. I can't figure where this fitting would go. It is quite large being about the size of a 3/8 NPT fitting. Both hoses are shown below. The longer one is the return line.

http://sofadog.net/6.5TD/BothHoses.JPG

This shows a close up of the fitting on the engine end of the return line.

http://sofadog.net/6.5TD/EndFitting.JPG

Does anyone have any thoughts? Is it the wrong hose or is my truck currently plumbed wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Uncle Wally
07-29-2004, 05:38
Are you sure you got the right fuel lines?

I have a 94 K3500 and last week I just got everything back together after having the engine and trans out. Niether of my fuel lines looked like that. Both have short sections of hose with hose clamps. One hose goes to the fuel filter assy. and the other connects to the return line that is no more than 4 inches from the filter. Both have the factory lip on them so I believe that is the way it was when it was new (maybe different clamps anyways).

From your picture, it looks like you have fuel lines for a TBI small block, as both of those lines had fittings.

Waldo

ees
07-29-2004, 08:08
The short fuel line in the picture does have a barb end on the engine end. Which is just like the one on my truck. There is about 4 inches of rubber line into the filter.

It sounds like your return line is like the one on my truck. That means the other line I have is not for the correct application. I will give them a call and get another one comming.

Thanks!

ttpost
07-29-2004, 14:02
go to alldata.com it is better than any manual. it is the program that chevy stealers use. it is 25.00 a year and is updated quarterly, you will be signed on in minutes. good luck

tom.mcinerney
07-29-2004, 20:27
Not highly relevant as only know '95, but my original and OEM replacement sound like your original; both 3/8" feed and 5/16" return transitioned from hard to hose at rear of block. This makes sense, as that way the engine is a unit. You probably got a wrong line, Waldo seems to have it straight.

ees
07-30-2004, 02:46
Yeah that is what I concluded last night. My return line was the one leaking. The trouble was once I got it out to look at it I had a must faster leak. So I just cut down the hose I had with a pipe cutter and installed it. It doesn't have the nub on the end like the factory did, but I figure with less than 10 psi and two hose clamps it is not going anywhere.

As for alldata.com I looked at 3 months ago and was seriously not impressed. Compared to GM, Honda, VW, Audi, and Dodge manuals I have used it seemed much more like a Haynes. Great for changing alternators and simple stuff, but not very in depth especially on the electrical side. It is not the simple stuff I need a manual for. I just looked at the Toyota example. Is the GM better?