PDA

View Full Version : timing chain check

hug
11-21-2004, 18:18
With 158000 miles on my 6.5 should I look into checking my timing chain or should I let it be?

DmaxMaverick
11-21-2004, 18:31
No point checking it at those miles. If it's on your mind, change it. Performance will only improve with a new chain or gear drive.

BTW:
Welcome to The Diesel Page.

hug
11-21-2004, 18:37
Would it help the ip any? Also was concerned about the condition of the harmonic balancer not very easy to see for cracks in the rubber. also would you go with cain or gears? always the big ?

catmandoo
11-21-2004, 19:04
if your gonna do the chain put on a new balancer and crank pulley,my sub i did a couple months ago and i just went chain,but think on my pickup i'll try a gear set.

DmaxMaverick
11-21-2004, 19:08
Gears are better than chains. The gear drive will last the life of the engine, and likely many more afterwards. The choice is usually driven by $$. If the price was the same, there probably would be no more chains sold. Newer HP engines, including Duramax, are OEM gear driven.

The IP is driven from the cam timing, so if your valve timing is off, so is the IP timing. The pump will be timed with the cam, but the crank moment won't be in time with either. This seems to compensate for timing component wear, but won't compensate for the difference between the crank (piston) timing and valves/pump.

When you do your timing set, you will get a close up look at the balancer. Search the threads for more detail on that. If in doubt, replace it, as well as the damper pulley.

hug
11-21-2004, 19:16
Thanks for the info guys smile.gif . I see how the money goes here at christmas time and tear into the beast soon. So that means I will probably be contacting JK soon for some parts. :D