PDA

View Full Version : DTC 78 and 29

duluthsvo
03-18-2005, 10:10
Not a glitch since building the new motor (very pleased with mods but that's another topic) until yesterday. While driving to work, the truck began to act up (no boost, SES light, down on power with minor surge). Limped it the last mile to work with SES light off as long as the power level was moderate. Went to limp it home for repair and no glow plugs.... I've researched DTC 78 Wastegate solenoid failure and 29 Glow plug relay fault...but both at the same time? Has the PCM taken a dump or is it likely the connections after a salty Minnesota winter? Any input would be welcomed before a weekends worth of screwing around. Thanks DuluthSVO

markrinker
03-18-2005, 11:36
Both the glow plug relay and the wastegate solenoid are located in the same area, so your corrosion theory is strong. I'd unhook both, clean the terminals, apply some dielectric grease, and reconnect.

I have a almost new, wastegate solenoid if you need one. I replaced it and then ended up installing a Turbo-Master so its been under the hood doing nothing. Email me if you want it - I'll PayPal you for $5 to remove it plus $5 to mail it to you.

duluthsvo
03-18-2005, 11:50
Now that's a deal I have a hard time running from. Thanks for the response. Do you have any favorable comments regarding the Turbo-Master? Did you per chance combine it with the e-prom upgrade? I only ask as this is my next step along with intercooler and custom CAI.

markrinker
03-18-2005, 14:57
Nothing but good to say about the Turbo-Masters. Running them on both trucks, they are a 'set-it and forget-it' solution to an over-engineered boost control system that will fail in three or four different ways over time. (Solenoid, vaccuum pump, vacuum lines, vacuum actuator) Highly recommended.

If you are interested in intercooling, it is nearly requisite to do the following first to see significant power gains. Intercooling won't hurt anything, but you aren't running enough boost at stock settings to really need it.

This is the order of mods that will yield progressive and complimentary power increases. It has been proven over and over again on here. I just borrowed experience from lots of smart people smile.gif

3.5" exhaust (let it breathe), boost and EGT gauges (watch the inputs/outputs), cooling mods including dual thermostats, hiflow water pump and HD fan clutch (keep it cool), performance ECM chip (add the fuel), boost control (add the air to burn the fuel), intercooling (cool the intake charge).

duluthsvo
03-19-2005, 17:33
After working through the issues related to the DTC codes...it turned out to be the fuel heater (element at the base of the fuel filter housing). Heating element failed and sent codes back through the PCM as bogus errors. I need a new fuel heater if you or any one else has one....need one quickly as I only drive this truck in the winter. Any one????