PDA

View Full Version : glow plugs repacement

RVB
07-28-2004, 08:57
anybody out there have an easy/reliable solution to testing and replacing glow plugs? I've seen several procedures printed out and they all seem very involved. what's the success rate of removing glow plugs? Is there a special tool for easy/reliable removal, and how necessary is it?

Marty Lau
07-28-2004, 13:25
Some guys have changed them by taking off the passenger wheel and wheel well skirting. If I remember right a 10mm deep socket is what it takes. I rather take the turbo off and change the
glow plugs. To me even if take an hour longer it's less frustrating. As far as checking which ones are good ect, just change them all they are not that expensive and then you have a whole set of new.

ttpost
07-28-2004, 13:41
I removed my tire and mud skirting, it was pretty easy that way, six and eight are the worst. i had carbon build up on six. i had to remove the heat shield and use a pair of needle nose to apply pressure as i wrenched it out, kind of wore away the carbon.
Also you want to get new fastners for the mud shield, there only a few dollars. when you get the new plugs get g60's. hope this helps

charliepeterson
07-28-2004, 19:31
for testing, I put the ground clip of a test light on the "positive" post on the battery and touch the spade connector on the glow plug. If the test light glows the plug is good.

For removal I drop the wheelwell skirt and reach in on the pass. side. A ten mm. socket fits. If the plugs have been in for a while carbon can build up on the tip. Pull straight out! You can twist while pulling. Penetrating oil is OK. Don't break the tip off! If you do, pull the Injector out and fish it out with a coat hanger and a dab of grease.