PDA

View Full Version : new h-balancer & pulley

EscaladeDiesel
11-21-2004, 08:36
I had the harmonic balancer and pulley replaced Friday. When driving it yesterday there was a significant difference in the oil pressure. The pressure now gets barely lower than 40 and is usually @ 50 or 60. Is this occurrence normal once a replacement is made and is it a "GOOD" thing?

Barry Nave
11-21-2004, 15:03
How this be related to oil psi. It can't.
Now if the damper was removed there could be that chance that some little piece of something could of went into the pan and stuck the bypass vavle.
Sounds more like the oil pressure switch is giving you faults.

john8662
11-21-2004, 20:14
This under 40 reading, is this hot or cold. When starting up first thing in the morning bone cold you should see between 50 to 60. Once warm it will idle 40. On a hot day you'll see 35 psi at idle and about 50 max going down the highway with 2k rpm. I would start with the Oil Pressure Switch connections first, been there done that.

EscaladeDiesel
11-21-2004, 21:50
It is higher when cold, then settles down to 40psi, but had not noticed the 50 to 60 psi previously, but again I am a bit paranoid about everything. Hey John, how did you get you truck as your icon, I tried but couldnt get it to work.

john8662
11-22-2004, 06:14
To get the small icon you have to do some work in photoshop. But to get a general thumbnail of an image you have you will first need a webhost, or somewhere you can post graphics on the web. I use my free webspace that I get with my broadband internet connection. Once you get somewhere to host your images (imagestation won't work for this), you'll need a jpg or gif image sized appropriatly to be a thumbnail and still look good. Or you can take the whole image and see what it looks like. There is a section under "my profile" under the forum to change your avaitar (the thumbnail). When you:

a. Get a place on the web to host your images
b. Find and size you image for thumbnail use
c. Upload your image to a webhost

Then you can link to the image you hosted on the web by entering that specific images URL into the blank found for custom avaitar on the forum.

EscaladeDiesel
11-22-2004, 06:33
Thanks for the info. Thats what I did, but I guess there was some delay or something as I see this morning it is now THERE. But also have the webpage on AOL, so it could have been AOL.

john8662
11-22-2004, 08:11
I had also wondered, since I have read most of your posts about your engine problems and swapping engines if you had any extra parts? I am looking for a block to build.

EscaladeDiesel
11-22-2004, 09:29
Hey John...I have a few extra parts, set of rings (minus one), piston rods, etc will have to look see. Actually what I did was use my original engine, and replaced the piston rod, rings etc on the #8 piston that had the damaged bearing, I also had to use the extra crank I had because the original had too deep a gouge from the damaged bearing. So the USED 6.5L NA ENGINE I purchased is sitting still on the pallet and wrapped up, maybe I will drop it in my 83 6.2 Suburban, but it's WAY down the list of priorities, as my nephew had been using my Mercedes and got it hot somehow and cracked the alum head.....Also, I just listened to your MPG's and my Sub. is making that same noise at idle that I dont remember before, my IP and injectors are all original...will post more on that post.

john8662
11-22-2004, 11:17
Good deal, I am glad you ended up repairing your 98 block, I thought all along that was the best route rather than replace the engine with a used one. Thanks for the listen on my clacking post, maybe I'll get the bottom of it before it breaks.