PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Long Block

Mr. Plow
11-18-2004, 17:07
New Subscriber!

Just purchased a '94 K-1500 4x4 with the 6.5td. This was good until the upper radiator hose blew off about a week later...........I am looking for a reliable, warranteed long block to replace the blown engine! Is there anyone out there with opinions? I would like to get more than 190hp out of it eventually as an option! Thanks for any information!

Dvldog 8793
11-18-2004, 17:24
Howdy
What ever you get make sure that it is a NEW AM General block with the Navistar logo in the valley. I know the GM Goodwrench blocks are and I think john Kennedy sells good blocks. He would also be a good source for HighPO stuff. The NonEGR motor put out 215hp in stock trim. I've heard it easy to get 250hp out of them ;)
Good luck and steer clear of the ebay motors.
L8r
Conley Janssen

Keith Richards
11-20-2004, 13:40
I had no idea navistar had anything to do with gm motors!Is this just the hummer motors?Did gm recently contract them out to build better blocks?

Dvldog 8793
11-20-2004, 16:25
AM General has to continue the 6.5 line for the military. When GM gave them sole rights to the motor, they decided to fix it right and took the design to Navistar's casting plant. I called and talked to them and not only did they beef up some critical areas they also made significant casting method changes and material changes. Mainly stress relieving and the addition of more Moly to the block. The new AM General blocks will have the Navistar double diamond logo cast into the valley. According to the guy at AMG they have had NO problems with this block.
L8r
Conley

Arlie
11-20-2004, 21:19
Just curious if you know whether any improvements have been made to the heads. If this were the case a new long block might be a wise investment.
Arlie

Dvldog 8793
11-21-2004, 05:00
Howdy
I heard that the head problem was due to overheating and with the cooling mods this wss no longer a problem. My dealer told me that in the last 5 years he hasn't seen any cracked heads.
I think AMG takes there job of supplying our troops VERY seriuose and has done their best to correct some of the chronic engine problems. This is just MY impression after talking to them.
L8r
Conley

Arlie
11-22-2004, 13:46
Appreciate the input. My truck is sitting idle as I have other vehicles but soon I plan to get it running. It died after an oil cooler line fell off.
I have a 599 block. If it's toast maybe I'll put one of the new blocks in. I think my heads could be rebuilt but nobody around here does them the way I've seen described here. Also I'd want a little more power than stock but don't think the truck is worth spending over about $5000 total for engine work so there's a few things to think about.