PDA

View Full Version : Trying to buy "Power-Stop" cross drilled rotors or equivalent (Tanker, you there??)

96turboSuburban
11-18-2004, 14:03
I'm looking for some cross drilled rotors for my sub. and Tom 'Tanker' posted that he had a set.
I need to improve the braking of my rig.
Can anyone suggest a supplier for better front rotors and pads without having a shop custom drill a pair????
Todd in Md.

MJEasly
11-18-2004, 19:25
Try Summit Racing. I got mine from there for about 90 a side if memory serves.

I don't think you will see any performance improvement, but they do look cool.

Alf
11-18-2004, 19:36
Cross drilling is a strictly for looks. Truck rotors are prone to cracking anyway, why add stress risers?
Baer Brakes, has great tech on its site, debunking myths of outgassing, and cooling properties of rotors.
Any cross drilling racers use, is strictly to reduce rotating mass and unsprung weight.
We need mass for rotor stability and heat transfer.
The super duper rotors you may see on Porches and other exotics are cast with holes prior to machining to promote better grain patterns and such.

96turboSuburban
11-18-2004, 19:43
Thanks MJE!
I'll call them tomorrow!
TB :D

Turbine Doc
11-19-2004, 05:55
Got mine from JC Whitney, don't forget braided stainless lines if you haven't done that yet

tanker
11-19-2004, 16:18
Hi Todd, I bought mine from a company called "Overlander", looked around but could not find the receipt. I have not had any problems with them at all. I'm on my 2nd or 3rd set of pads, and never turned the rotors, I had a shop check them to see if they were running true, and they are fine. As noted above cross drilled rotors are not good! Well I'm satisfied with them. So I don't know about the technical end, maybe Dr. Lee would have a metalugist point of view. ;)

96turboSuburban
11-19-2004, 18:26
Alf, Yes, I've heard the Baer brakes are great.
Gret explanation why cross drilled not necessarily good for trucks.
Thanks TBO, gonna put the SS hoses on for sure.
Thanks Tom 'Tanker'.
I'll let you guys know what I'm going to do when I decide.
Todd :D :D