PDA

View Full Version : is there someone hurt about this

20050420|7|006071|000022|69.19.2.78
08-07-2005, 03:41
click on the folowing link

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/issues/2004/Jul/Army%20ponders.htm

jspringator
08-07-2005, 05:24
This could give us another viable engine replacement option. V6 would be shorter and easier to mount an intercooler. Would have to be all non-electronic, which means a stand alone transmission controller.

mhagie
08-07-2005, 06:30
Figures Furd would be too stupid to take advantage of it.
Sounds like a good engine to me although would like more details such as HP,Torque,Turbo or non,etc.
Merle

trbankii
08-07-2005, 07:26
If it is a direct swap for the Humvee, it should make for a neat little swap. If it is smaller than the 6.5, that should help with a swap. I was also interested in the "revised" 6.5 from AM General that was mentioned. Wonder if it addresses the block cracking issues - cannot see why they would not try to address that.

Of course, if it is a military-only item it may be an issue putting these into highway vehicles. Probably not smogged and such.

morgan
08-08-2005, 04:32
Not so much "hurt", but "embarrassed".

GM should have done something a LONG time ago to make the 6.5 more durable. That's why we are all on this website...to bitch and moan about our problems. Now that we have found answers for our problems, we have a "victim comraderie" in our ownership of this flawed, but lovable, 6.5 diesel engine.

Thanks to Jim for helping us. Next article idea: what would the 12 step program be for 6.5 addicts?

Kennedy
08-08-2005, 08:29
Originally posted by mhagie:
Figures Furd would be too stupid to take advantage of it.
Sounds like a good engine to me although would like more details such as HP,Torque,Turbo or non,etc.
Merle Furd had their fill with Navistar 6.0 woes so they probably dropped this rather than risk taking another bath.

MJEasly
08-08-2005, 09:26
Or, another possible outcome is that we will learn how to swap our engines in an hour or less.

I wouldn't mind some more details on the upgraded 6.5 they are talking about in the article.

DmaxMaverick
08-08-2005, 13:20
Interesting, but very old news. The writer is obviously misinformed. AMG's "new" 6.5 is the engine currently being installed. The "smaller" engine refered to is the old N/A 6.2L, with power being its only real downfall. Reliability hasn't been an issue with them. The Navistar V6 is much too dependent on electronics to be practical for combat use. Heavier equipment is still powered by 2 stroke Detroits, manufactured new to this day.

The article is dated over a year ago.

NH2112
08-08-2005, 15:34
I can't see any possible way to change a humvee engine in an hour, simply due to the amount of stuff you have to remove in order to get at the engine, and the limited space you have to do it in. Those things are packed in there tightly! Now, if they went to an inline 4 that would clear the firewall and only needed the hood tilted forward and the radiator removed, they might get R&R times down to a couple hours. The problem with the humvee is that they're being used in ways they were never intended to be used, with loads far heavier than they were designed to carry. They're actually doing wonderful jobs considering all that, but the fact remains tht the latest up-armored humvees weigh in at about a ton or so less than what a 2 1/2-ton truck does (which is around 17,000lbs) but were built for a GVWR of around 8000lbs or so. They have 1/2-ton sized diffs, semi-floating axles at the geared hubs, and these are the weak areas of a driveline that's otherwise very strong.

tom.mcinerney
08-09-2005, 17:07
I read an articla a year ago indicating that many of the military vehicles in Iraq were accumulating mileage at many times the expected rate.

The fact that someone would attempt to make the Hummer powerplants far more serviceable [at least/especially engine-swapping] is not surprising. Most auto manufacturers don't engineer for maintenance/maintainability -- they engineer for efficient initial production. Big difference.

NH2112
08-09-2005, 17:23
Originally posted by trbankii:
I was also interested in the "revised" 6.5 from AM General that was mentioned. Wonder if it addresses the block cracking issues - cannot see why they would not try to address that.

OIMO, the only way to address this problem would be a complete redesign of the block, adding about 150lbs of iron. More metal in the stress areas is all that will work. Plus, they should also add 2 head bolts between each cylinder so that each cylinder is surrounded by 6 bolts, which would require the block and heads to be lengthened.

Govt issue
08-10-2005, 07:37
The hummer engine we replaced took just under 40 hours. I think hummer says 42, not sure.