PDA

View Full Version : L65 ECM swap help

izak
11-17-2004, 12:51
Is the L65 swap fairly plug-and-play? Can I expect to just swap out ECMs and do a little work under the hood? I found several '99 and up 6.5L diesel ECMs from 3500's with automatic transmissions. Is that enough for a match? I've read about "key learn sequences" too; will I have to do that, cause I dont know what that those are at all..

matt-max
11-17-2004, 15:18
yup, simple plug and play with no work necessary under the hood, assuming you have handled the egr valve issue.

if not, get an upper intake and egr gasket and a thin piece of sheet metal cut in the same shape as the egr gasket except solid, no hole in the center. grab a dremel and/or drill bit and follow the pics on kennedy's tech tips/6.5 intake page and remove the exess material in your upper intake and install the block off plate and gasket. remove the egr related connectors on the driver side of the intake.

have your dealership set your timing to -1.94 when they reprogram your ecm to the vin of an L65 vehicle and you are good to go!

the pas key learn sequence takes 30-45 minutes and can be seen on the westersgarage dot com website under faq or troubleshooting for gm vehicles.

enjoy the extra 40hp!

matt

Is the L65 swap fairly plug-and-play? Can I expect to just swap out ECMs and do a little work under the hood? I found several '99 and up 6.5L diesel ECMs from 3500's with automatic transmissions. Is that enough for a match? I've read about "key learn sequences" too; will I have to do that, cause I dont know what that those are at all..