PDA

View Full Version : What pops or thuncks?

Burner
04-17-2003, 18:49
When I make a sharp right turn ... or left turn the drivers wheel seems to make a "ker-thump" noise. I only have 11k on the truck and it is greased every 4k. What do you think it is? I have not seen a "new" bad ball joint in a very long time, at least not from GM. Could it be from the 4x4 system as I have the goofy switch thing. It really sounds like the CV joint. What could cause this......... any thoughts.

-- I know that the lugs are properly installed and torqued, I did them myself.

Burner----> :D

NWDmax
04-17-2003, 19:20
Burner,mine does the same thing only when I go full lock stopped and then when I creep ahead I get the loud pop.
It sounds like something in tension is being released.(no pun intended) smile.gif

Burner
04-17-2003, 19:29
For mine it's not just a full lock turn. Mine will "snap" just making a hard turn @ 15 MPH. :( I'll get to the dealer asap........ Sometimes you just can't fight bad luck. :rolleyes:

Burner----> :cool:

1BADDMAX
04-20-2003, 18:55
You know what... mine does the same thing when I'm backing up and make a sharp left turn.

dmaxalliTech
04-20-2003, 20:16
One thing ya'll might want to check is the steering stops on the knuckle. There is a pad on the lower control arm that contacts the knuckle at full lock, if its not greased and suspension compresses, its metal on metal and could cause a noise. Put your finger in some heavy grease and lube the contact patches on control arm and knuckle and see if noise goes away. Hopefully this will help. This is often overlooked lube point when servicing truck.

armalite
04-21-2003, 15:44
My truck used to clunk/pop when making sharp turns in forward or reverse. My dealer has fortunately come accross this problem before. Above the front skid plate there is some sort of a front suspension crossmember with I think 4 bolts holding it in place. My service tech told me that the bolts will work around a bit and cause everthing to shif making a clunking popping type noise. He removed the the part, cleaned up the areas around the bolt holes with some sand paper and reinstalled to proper torque ratings. Guess what, no more clunking and popping!!!