PDA

View Full Version : Front end problem

Maxter
04-17-2003, 09:31
Last tuesday I went to the garage to have them install some 265's. I always ran the factory 245 size and wanted to go a tad wider.

While removing a wheel, to mechanic said to me that my driver side tie-rod end was loose. I immediatly call my Local GM Dealer to have an appointment to fix that.

When I went back tp pick up the truck, they said that they didn't do anything because that was not covered by my waranty. They said that GM asked for "proofs" of service.

The truck is 15 months old and I have about 51,000km on it and had 4 oil changes made. The first one was a the the dealer, the second and third one I did myself because it was summer and my fourth one I brought my oil and filter to WalMart and for 15$ I got the chance to watch them ruin 2 oil filter wrench on the Dmax!

Each time, the 11 zerks were done properly. GM said that the problem was due to a lack of lubrification. The lubrification was done according to their shedule. They don'T want to pay for it for a lack of proofs that it was done properly.

I asked them what kind of proofs they needed and they told me they needed GM dealer invoices or other invoices. I gave them invoices for my oil purchase and the tweo services that were not done by me but it was not enough. I couldn't find the invoice for the few 2$ grease tubes I bought.

So now I have to pay 1000$CAN to change the tie rod end, ball joints and idler arms or fight GM. Man this sucks. I checked a few topics under the subjest and it seems that many poeple who made the proper lubrifications have had the same problem with premature wear.

Any take on how to resolve this? I do push a snow plow to clean the roads on my land and work in the mud alot and "maybe" this would require a more frequent lube but I tought that following GM's schedule was enought.

Thanks for your inputs.

JF.

Paintdude
04-17-2003, 11:31
It just aint right..All of the manufactures are like this, all of them cars,Turck,boats,motorcycles,etc..

It is becoming a sad time this day and age..A man had just as well buy a old used unit and it will have the same warrenty as a new one..NONE...

Good Luck..and thanks for the info..

David Proske
04-17-2003, 14:10
Maxter, I looked at the pics on your page. Running through deep mud and sand will kill the front end joints, and u-joints don't like it either. You would think they could design a greasable joint that would keep mud, sand, and water out, but it always finds a way in.

SoMnDMAX
04-17-2003, 14:22
I had my inner tie rods, pitman arm, and idler arm replaced at 34,000 miles, all at no charge. GM even picked up the alignment cost. Every 4500-5000 miles each zerk got a shot of grease if it needed it. No maintenance skipped on my truck.

51,000 KM = about 32,000 miles, right? If so, you should be covered under warranty....

Maxter
04-17-2003, 16:19
I spoke to the costumer representative lady today.

I did 4 maintenances (@ 6500 miles interval) to date and the fifth one is due this week or next week.

The first was done in february 2002 by a GM dealer

The second and the third where done by me since it was summer and I didn't mind crawling under the truck.

The fourth was done in january 2003 by Wal-Mart.

Listen to this...

I provided them with:

- My GM dealer invoice
- An invoice for a 5 gallion pail of Mobil Delvac 1
- An invoice for 2 AC Delco PF2232 Oil Filter
- An invoice for my last service at Wal-Mart including Mobil Delvac 1 oil again and I provided them a WIX filter for wich I didn't find the invoice.

The answer I got was that...

The GM Dealer incoice is OK, My Oil and Oil Filter invoices are not OK because they don't prove that I used the oil and filter on this truck and my Wal-Mart invoice is not valid because my VIN is not on it (but it does have my name, plate number, make and model of the vehicule and the mileage) They say that it doesn't prove that it was that vehicule that was in the garage... To the best of my knowledge, I only own ONE Duramax.

As far as they are concerned, since I'm only able to prove one service made by a GM dealer, that's what they conclude.

I asked them what kind of proofs they wanted since I provided them with a january 2003 invoice proving that it was done (I showed the Wal-Mart guys where the zerks where) and they wouldn't not answer wich is equivalent to "sue us"

It is true that I sometimes encounter some mud in my land but it's only periodic and I tought that the GM maintenance schedule accounted for the use of a work truck like that.

Any other Canadian with that problem?

Thanks.

JF.

JoeyD
04-17-2003, 17:32
Maxster, I do alot of the same things with my truck and I have 80,000 miles on the front end. I grease it at 2500 miles though, mostly just the tie rods as they seem to eat the grease. The ball joints and idler arm are usualy still good but they get a little just in case. I also use Mobile 1 synthetic grease since new.
That sucks you have to pay, maybe try another dealer as some just have no idea what customer care and service is all about.

Maxter
04-17-2003, 18:11
My point in all this is that I followed their maintenance schedule carefully. I do 90% Highway, 8% city, 2% gravel roads/muddy terrain.

Greasing the zerks is very easy, I thought by following their rules I would be ok.

I don't intent to let it there. Their argument that I can't prove that it was inded my vehicule that I've put the oil in would never hold in small claims court.

JimWilson
04-17-2003, 20:53
You want input? Okay, here's mine; raise h#ll! I do all my own maintenance too, and I guarantee it's done better then those chimpanzees over at the dealer do it. If they tried to tell me a warranty issue is not being covered over some BS like that I'd be creating such a stir in the sales department that every customer in the place would be running for the door. And I'd let the sale manager know I'll be back everyday doing the same thing until my truck was fixed. If you honestly didn't abuse it then you have a right to your warranty. And 2% (or even 10%) gravel roads is certainly not abusive for a truck. And when was the last time you saw anybody, except the dealer, put a VIN on a service invoice? What a crock of turds that is.

oyazi
04-17-2003, 23:41
Re the dealer chimpanzes ~ the last time I had mine into the dealer one of his lot boys determined the A pillar gauzes was a hand hold and ripped it off :mad: :mad: :mad:

Duramaxdiesel
04-18-2003, 15:04
Hey Maxter, are you by any chance ever in Montreal? If so I have a dealer friend (service manager)that will I'm sure help out. Get back to me.

Maxter
04-18-2003, 21:42
Duramaxdiesel:

As a matter of fact, I was in Montr

drgracr
04-19-2003, 19:29
As a technician in a dealership,
what difference does it make where you get your oil change. Dealer/Manufacturer can not specify that maintenance has to be done through them--unless they do it for free.
Besides if the front end wasn't greased it would show.
Find a different dealer, call your DSM. This is a warrantable issue.