PDA

View Full Version : gear noise

needbigtruck
12-21-2003, 09:06
I am starting to notice a gear noise coming from the shift lever while in 6th gear. The pitch changes as I load and unload. Am I starting to lose a bearing somewhere?

a5150nut
12-21-2003, 10:52
I would imagine the 6 gear is like the 5 gear since 6th is your overdrive. On the 5 speed there is a nut on the shaft in the rear of the trans, infront of the transfer case that works loose. I tightend mine last time I had the t-case out and it quieted down. Had to replace the seal at the rear of trans because it was dumping into t-case.

Before you tear into things, check oil levels in both boxes!

SoMnDMAX
12-21-2003, 15:15
Don't confuse the NV4500 with the ZF found in the new trucks- they are two different animals.

NV4500 is made by New Venture gear here in the USA.

ZF is a German company, IIRC.

Now, that's not to say that both suffer from the same maladies.... Chances are you could very well be losing a bearing- have you checked the oil in the tranny lately? How much metal is in the fluid?

a5150nut
12-21-2003, 20:38
NV4500 is made by New Venture gear here in the USA.

ZF is a German company, IIRC.

No 6spd IS made by New Venture. I talked with thier engineers about swapping a 6 in for a 5. They are booth listed on thier web site. 6spd is 2 1/2 inches longer and has one more gear between low and overdrive.

DmaxMaverick
12-21-2003, 21:56
I must be missinformed....

The new Dodge HO Cummins is hooked up to a new NV5600. 6 forward gears. I'm pretty sure they are made in the good ol' US of A, or at least a lot closer than Germany. The NV4500 has 6 gears, but one goes the other way.

As far as the problem with the ZF goes, if you don't find your answer here, try the Ford camp. They've been using them for quite a while. The older 5 speeds are very similar to the newer 6 gear.

DmaxMaverick
12-23-2003, 10:28
I was just checking out ZF's site (DP advertiser link). They have an exploded view of the tranny, and appear to have pretty good customer service and contact info on the site.

Give them a shot at your problem.

luvthesmellofdiesel
12-23-2003, 12:09
Needbigtruck,

I have the same problem with the gear noise in 6th. I have 30K miles and the noise seems to have come on recently. I wasn't concerned about it, maybe I should be. Please let me know what you find out.

Thanks,
Tim