PDA

View Full Version : New Shocks--Old hardware??

biglouieky
04-07-2003, 14:24
In process of installing Bilstein shocks. Just noticed that OEM front shock mounting hardware seems to be beefed up more than hardware that came with Bilsteins.OEM hardware has larger washers and bushings and has metal and nylon bushings. Just wondering if it would be better to use the OEM hardware or the Bilstein plain rubber bushings??

JimWilson
04-07-2003, 17:19
I noticed the same thing when I installed my Ranchos. But I used everything that Rancho gave me, just to be certain. In 10K there hasn't been any problems.

mackin
04-07-2003, 18:37
HHHMMMM

I found the Rancho 'original' 9000 bushings to be beefer then stock....

Any hoo do your self a favor go to the autoparts store get some vacuum caps (5/16 ?) put over the exposed post,you be glad you did if you ever have to remove down the road....

=>http://www.pbase.com/image/4159518

MAC ;)

biglouieky
04-07-2003, 20:56
Mackin--good idea on vacuum hose! I used anti-seize on the studs--trip to parts store tomorrow.Three of the OEM shocks were totally shot--both fronts---one rear.Was riding like a 74 Monte Carlo--now like a Soft-tail Harley! I went with the Bilstien hardware for now.

JimWilson
04-09-2003, 15:28
The Rancho bushings were taller, but not as wide.

I sprayed some white lithium grease on the threads to make sure they were protected.