PDA

View Full Version : XM Radio range?

Chevy Ryan
08-17-2004, 13:40
For anyone with XM Radio who has travelled into Canada, how far could you get north of the border before losing service? Thanks.

ssybert
08-19-2004, 09:25
XM is reported to work way up in Alaska. I'd recommend www.xmfan.com (http://www.xmfan.com) they've got great forums and members all over North America who have XM. This topic hsa been discussed over there many times. I Personally travelled to London Ontario without a single problem. Granted it's not that far over the border but it worked flawlessly none the less.

good luck!

sb359
08-19-2004, 17:10
xm and sirius are satelite signals and can be recieved anywhere in north america unless maybe tunnels or tight places like the fraser canyon.from prudhoe bay alaska to mexico city and hawaii to puerto rico.(xm's website).when i first ordered my truck i inquired about xm but it was a hassle due to fcc regulations in canada.I was at a ball team party in castlegar 2 weeks ago and was talking to a truck driver about it he said sirius has 2 satelites and xm 1.he purchased his sirius at a communications store.i went into the local radio shack today and asked if they sold them.they said on sept 7 big changes were happening.something about the fcc being dismantled and it wil be available in canada.or maybe they had just smoked a big fat one. :D :D

ssybert
08-20-2004, 06:06
The truck driver is wrong. XM has 2 satellites, cleverly named Rock and Roll. I'm not sure about sirius but I believe that have 3. XM's satellites are directly over the equator beaming RF into the United States. While the antenna system was designed to put GOOD RF coverage over the United States, a good portion of area surrounding the borders of the US get coverage as a result. XM makes no claims to work all over North America and is not available to anyone outside the US.

I also would recommend XM over Sirius of you're torn between the two. XM has 2.1 million subscribers... much more than forecasted. They're doing excellent and only cost $9.99 a month. Sirius has 400,000 subscribers, not doing as well as planned and cost $13.00 a month. I would have more of a send of security putting my money in XM equipment.

Good luck!

Chevy Ryan
08-20-2004, 06:56
Thanks for the information. xmfan.com is a great site with loads of cross-border sat radio discussion. I will be going with a Delphi Roady2 in the very near future, as soon as they are back in stock. I checked the web site of every major electronics store and all are currently sold out of the Roady2. Most say they will have more in stock by the end of August. I have lots of family in the USA, so getting an American address won't be a problem.

ssybert
08-20-2004, 07:08
You're going to love XM. It's the greatest thing in the world. :D

smitheb
08-22-2004, 03:02
I have traveled to Goose Bay Labrador and then to Newfoundland and my factory installed XM radio worked just fine except when big hills blocked the view of the southern sky.

Maximus
09-21-2004, 02:11
I would love to go with XM. Does anyone know if the am/fm with CD and XM ready be an easy swap in a 2002 w/On Star? I would hope the only modification would be the addition of the antenna.