PDA

View Full Version : Kennedy Headlamp Upgrade: Getting Flashed While Towing

wheeler
04-05-2003, 09:04
I'm really impressed with the light output with the Kennedy headlamp harness and low and high bulb upgrade, which I've been using for three months. Had never been flashed by oncoming motorists until last night, first time I pulled my fifth wheel, when practically every passing driver flashed me.

So with fifth wheel attached and weighing down back of the truck the headlamps are shooting up into people's eyes... I read the owner's manual and couldn't find anything about headlamp aiming. Is it easy to do?

Will I have any luck? It's an up and down problem, right, not left to right? Is there a happy medium to good headlamp aim while towing and not being too low when driving solo? I don't know if it's just the aiming or if the upgraded bulb wattage is just too much light-- since I'm used to upgrade, hate to go back to stock bulbs!

Or is this telling me the truck is squatting too much in the rear under load, with other safety implications as well? (Rear tire and wheel weight ratings are okay but at max.) Other than this headlamp issue, the truck/trailer combo seems to handle beautifully. Thanks! --wheeler

Fathead
04-05-2003, 10:28
I used to get flashed all the time when hauling my 5th. wheel even with the stock bulbs. You only have to squat a little bit to cause this problem. Even though my rig handled very well I added air bags to bring it back to perfectly level. I have also discovered that the air bags made an already good riding setup even better.And I love those Kennedy beams and haven't been flash.
FH. smile.gif

[ 04-05-2003: Message edited by: Fathead ]</p>

wheeler
04-05-2003, 11:36
Thanks for the tip Fathead! Airbags would probably be a great idea for my rig. I did an internet search and found Air Lift Company... is this brand a good solution? Would you tell me what's involved with installation (a compressor is mounted?), what's the system cost installed and where do you get airbags installed--what kind of shop? Thanks for the info! --wheeler

'03 Chevy D/A 2500HD 4x4 CC shortbox: BanksPower EB, PullRite SuperGlide, Retrax, TransferFlow, Jordan, SmarTire, Weld Evo Velociti 8x16, LT265/75R16 E Michelin LTX M/S, Magellan 750M/CoPilot 2003 Navigation, Poron backup sensor. Towing '99 Alpenlite 29RL fifth wheel: drop Onan 3600LP/Solar/Xantrex/Lifeline AGM golfcart array, hybrid 30+20 amp service, DataStorm mobile satellite internet served on wireless Apple AirPort network, Sani-Con, etc.

[ 04-05-2003: Message edited by: wheeler ]</p>

Burner
04-05-2003, 11:45
Wheeler,

If you are at max weight be careful.
:eek: Just think of what will happen if your rear tire or tires blow. Try some bags, they will let you compensate for load as well as keeping the bulbs a little more on the road. Adjusting your lights is easy, look for the star atop the headlight. You will see which one works rt to lt and which one adjusts pitch.

Burner ----&gt; :D

Fathead
04-05-2003, 12:05
I used Air Lift's SuperDuty Air bags with the Load Controller II compressor .It's my good fortune to live near John Kennedy and he provided the gear and did the instillation. Installation looked straight forward and not that difficult but then again I was watching an expert do it. My research convinced me that this product was the best available. John can sell you the bags and knowing what kind of guy he is I'm sure he would be glad to answer your instillation questions.I also know that Camping World sells and installs them.
FH. smile.gif

On Edit: Their not cheap; about $625.00 installed.

[ 04-05-2003: Message edited by: Fathead ]</p>

Vette Racer
04-05-2003, 21:38
Well, These light up things so well that I even moved mine up a notch. The adjustment is a snap as long as you have a torx screwdriver. I put mine to where I can see. When its loaded, yeah, its a bit high. When not, its just about right for me, maybe a bit high for some. One thing about it that I have found, the older you get, the more light you need to see at night. I can't get enough! Thanks JK.

[ 04-05-2003: Message edited by: Vette Racer ]</p>

wheeler
04-05-2003, 22:59
Hey folks, I'm leaving on my first trip tomorrow pulling the fiver with this new truck... anyway, I pulled last night for the first time at night and realized I had a problem with the headlamp aiming. With your suggestions I focused them down just a tad-- 'cause when I'm bobtailing without the trailer in tow I don't want the headlamps to shine too low. Looks like I'm in good shape now. Thanks again for the help today! wheeler

'03 Chevy D/A 2500HD 4x4 CC shortbox: BanksPower Exhaust Brake, PullRite SuperGlide, Retrax, Linex, J&J Lighted Millenium Boards (running & courtesy), TransferFlow, Jordan, SmarTire (6 wheels), Weld Evo Velociti 8x16, LT265/75R16 E Michelin LTX M/S, Magellan 750M/CoPilot 2003 Navigation, Poron backup sensor, Kennedy headlamp harness & bulbs upgrade, etc. '99 Alpenlite 29RL fifth wheel: drop Onan 3600LP/Solar/Xantrex/Lifeline AGM golfcart array, hybrid 30+20 amp service/Hughes AutoFormer, Fujitsu 42" high definition plasma/Dish Network/Panasonic HDD/DVD-R, MotoSat Exec OSD, DataStorm mobile broadband internet/Apple AirPort wireless network, Sani-Con, Tempur-Pedic, Saeco (commercial) espresso, Packasport/rooftop snowboards, Sportworks TranSport/ mountain bikes, etc. etc.

[ 04-05-2003: Message edited by: wheeler ]</p>

conway
04-05-2003, 23:50
You might also try activesuspensions.com