PDA

View Full Version : AC power in truck, any ideas for cooling, etc

schamp
08-05-2005, 03:46
My 97 suburban (avant engine) has a 5000 watt generator mounted under the hood. I have 115 or 230 power at any time either sitting still or running down the road. My question is what, if anything, would ya'll do for additional cooling for engine or some kind of forced cool air for intake. Just looking for ideas. My thinking is that with that kind of power available bigger blowers or fans could be used. Thanks.
schamp

jspringator
08-05-2005, 04:21
Tell us about your generator. Do you have a link?

schamp
08-05-2005, 04:36
Sure. Its a 5kv generator thats mounted under the hood. Its made by Aura Systems, Inc. Do a search for their web site, but I think it aurasystems.com. The generator is engeneered for most trucks. Generator runs off of a belt which requires a pully added to the crank pully. At full 5k load engine rpm may go to about 900. Generator is all electronic, no brushes, etc. Used the generator at Talladega to power my camper and let it run for about 4 days. No problem. Neat installation. I also use it when power goes down here at the house.
I figured with the genrator available I could mount a much stronger fan to either push or pull air for any stop and go heating problems or when towing camper up large grades (mountains) could turn it on for additional cooling, could also add a fan to either pull or push additional air thru air filter. Thanks for all replys. schamp