PDA

View Full Version : Front Diff Vent, White or Black?

LarryM
04-03-2003, 12:10
There have been several threads lately that have mentioned problems with the original black vent plug being incompatible with synthetic lubes.

I changed the front diff lube to Mobile 1 75W90 at 5000 miles. That's been 60,000 miles and 19 months ago. There is no sign of leakage that I can see. The black plastic vent is dry and solid. There is no weeping around the plug although I can see the adhesive/sealant residue on the aluminum case.

I'm inclined to have a "it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude here. Can anyone give a descritpion of the actual failure mode of the original plug? Is it a deterioration of the plastic, a deterioration of the sealant or is the thing just unscrewing itself?

SoMnDMAX
04-03-2003, 13:28
Larry, I share your opinion on the vent. If it's not broke, don't fix it. So far I've logged 34,000 miles with synthetic in the front differential with nary a problem. No leaks, no obvious problems.

Matt

Black Dog
04-03-2003, 14:27
Black one with Mobil 1 here also. No problems.

Fathead
04-03-2003, 14:30
I have talked several friends into using synthetic fluid in their front ends. I ordered four white vent covers from GMpartsDirect;cost about $55.00 shipped. I had the first one changed out yesterday.It's just a guess but I suspect that the gasket on the part is made out of a different material so as to be compatible with synthetic fluid.Either way I read the bulletin suggesting the part change and I'm not taking any chances for the cost of less than $15.00 per truck
FH. smile.gif

Bass_on_tap
04-03-2003, 15:53
If I remember correctly, there was a tech bulletin about changing front diff fluid from dino to synthetic on trucks in cold climates. I also remember some members saying that the dealer did the change for free. If this is done by the dealer at no-cost for some, was the vent plug changed as well? If not, I would imagine that those individuals could get the white vent plug free from the dealer. Just a thought.

dmaxalliTech
04-03-2003, 20:29
The difference in the plug is the oil deflector and the o-ring seal. The deflector is metal instead of plastic, this is just a design change and has nothing to do with fluids. The seal is where they recommend changing. Gm has probably spent millions of dollars to find out that they had an incompatible oring and made it part of the new vent. I have also heard that the white vents are not supposed to work themselves loose like the black ones. I still put a small bead of sealer on them. I have noticed that all of the 03 trucks, 1500 and 2500, come with the white plug

Fathead
04-03-2003, 20:46
Ah yes ;I guessed right! It's about time ,I usually guess wrong. My 2003 came with a black cap.
FH. smile.gif

SPICER
04-03-2003, 22:15
dmaxalliTech,
What kind of sealer are you using on the new white vent cap? Thanks...SPICER :confused:

Fathead
04-03-2003, 22:51
I just gave it to my buddy ten minutes ago so I don't have its name. I went to the auto parts store and they weren't much help. Everything they suggested seemed inappropriate when I read the fine print.So I went to a plumbing store and read the fine print on every joint compound they had. This stuff said it was compatible with a long list of materials including many types of plastics and metal as well as oils and fuels. It also listed a huge temperature range and high pressures. It was non hardening and I believe it was essentially a past form of Teflon tape.I'm not sure if this was the right stuff to use but everything else they had was not suitable.I have three more trucks to go so I to would like suggestions myself.
FH. smile.gif

dmaxalliTech
04-04-2003, 23:26
I have used anarobic sealer and "assembly adhesive". anarobic does not harden up like other sealers. Its the same stuff your front axle is sealed with. Assembly adhesive is the same stuff d-max is sealed with

jbplock
04-05-2003, 13:43
The following is a quote from my 2003 Helms factory service manual, page 4-130…

“Install the vent connector. Apply a small amount of sealer GM P/N 1052942 (Canadian P/N 10953466) or equivalent onto the threads. Tighten the vent connector to 25 N-m (18 lb-ft)”

Dmaxallitech,

Is GM P/N 1052942 the stuff you are using? I used some Loctite (Teflon) thread sealant (white stuff) and it seemed to work ok. Time will tell…

dmaxalliTech
04-05-2003, 18:31
jb, Good question. Heck, I didnt even know they recommended it (sealer). All of my information is on disk or from internet, we dont have books anymore. I will double check on Monday what the part no. is that I am using. I dont see any reason teflon wont work....

cmtndmax
04-06-2003, 20:43
The loctite pipe dope (with teflon) that we use at work says do use on plastic pipe on the container. There website says it is for metal pipe. http://www.loctite.com/datasheets/tds/Thread_Sealant_with_Teflon.pdf

cmtndmax
04-06-2003, 20:50
They have a product just for plastic that works very well. http://www.loctite.com/catalog/product.html?ProductLine=NMLWPSL+++++++++++++

jbplock
04-07-2003, 04:51
cmtndmax,

Thanks! I'll check the label on the stuff I'm using. :eek:

LarryM
04-07-2003, 09:25
dmaxalliTech,

Thanks for the info on the failure mode. Since mine has run so long with no evidence of leakage yet, I'm going to just watch it. If it ever shows any sign of being broke, I'll fix it then.