PDA

View Full Version : Paint issue?

markrinker
08-02-2005, 08:42
Okay, the honeymoon is over. Noticed that the door jambs and stake pockets on my new '05 have thin spots where the color appears to be grey primer with only the first coat of blue covering.

Anyone else noticed this? I am going to stop by the dealership and look at other new trucks as a comparison. Maybe its just this color that looks thin in the folds.

I am not overly concerned, but none of my other Chebbys look like that. Is the General cutting corners to control costs?

mdadgar
08-02-2005, 11:19
Originally posted by Mark Rinker:
Okay, the honeymoon is over. Noticed that the door jambs and stake pockets on my new '05 have thin spots where the color appears to be grey primer with only the first coat of blue covering.

Anyone else noticed this? My '02 is like this, too.

GM uses good paint but is cheaping out by not using enough of it. The paint is incredibly soft, too.

- Mark

tanker
08-02-2005, 16:13
I noticed a light colour at the front of the bed, behind the cab? :rolleyes: Will wait and see what follows.

markrinker
08-02-2005, 16:33
I talked to the body shop manager and salesman from the dealership where it was purchased. He admitted that the paint was thin, but noted that the metal should be properly protected by the grey layer below.

We looked at other trucks. All the same. Depending on color, some are more noticable than others.

They offered to paint the light spots, I declined and said we could do it sometime in the future when there is a legitimate reason to have it in the body shop.

William Lee Gingerich
08-05-2005, 10:10
My 05 on the passengerside back door looked like it didnt have clear coat on it so the mannager looked at it and said they would have there detail guy buff it out. Well he tried and the clear coat that was there quickly disapeared so they had to repaint the door. They did a great job, gave me a loaner vehicle and really did a good job of taking care of me.
WestFall GMC KC MO