PDA

View Full Version : Stock tires getting tossed aside, who had 255/85 16 BFG Mud Terrains?

Jorday
12-09-2003, 18:04
I'm probably getting those. I did a lot of searches and saw that they pretty much always fit with stock height and stock rims. I had the truck in the mud today and the stock tires absolutely sucked. All the stock tires is fill the tread with mud and then slowly sink. I'm looking for a tire that's really good in mud/dirt, but it has to fit on the stock rims and fit on the truck without turning up the front, etc. I'm kind of wanting to stay away 285s or larger as they should really be used on a wider rim than the stock ones.

Any other suggestions before I order, should I consider a different tire? Remember, I want tires for mud.

Thanks a lot,
Jordan

1BADDMAX
12-10-2003, 13:31
I can't speak for the BFG's, but I have Dunlop Mud Rovers in 255/85/16. I think this is a great size. You can use them on the stock rims and they aren't too wide so they don't throw crap on the side of the truck. When I had 285's on my Z71 it threw rocks and mud on the side of the truck and scratched the paint. It looks as if I'll get about 20k out of the Mud Rovers. I will probably get the BFG's next time in the same size.

FisHn2DMax
12-10-2003, 15:38
I have the BFG's All-terrain TA's in 285. The tread design should be same as the 255. I find it has a very good tread design for both mud and snow and yet it's not so aggressive as to cause excessive road noise. The BFG all terrain is a very quiet running tire!!! I think it's the best all-around designed tire I've ever owned.
There a bit pricey, compared to a few others, but in my humble opinion, they're worth it! You'll get approx 50K miles out of set of BFG's if rotated regularly.

Good Luck! :D

Jorday
12-11-2003, 10:18
I had also been considering 285/75, but I don't want crap to get tossed on the side of the truck from the tires.

FisHn2DMax
12-12-2003, 20:44
Don't want Crap, Get wide mud Flaps!!! :D

DMAXED
12-12-2003, 21:35
I went with NITTO TERRA GRAPPLER 265/75/16E fits on stock rims , good in mud and snow and low to no noise.
http://www.nittotire.com/tires_terragrappler.asp

OilMan
12-28-2003, 12:52
I ran BFG Mud Terrains 255/85-16 on my 2500HD for about 18 months and 40,000 mi. They fit the PYO rims great, and IMO, the ideal tire size for this truck.
The mud terrains were great for off-road, but with the heavy front axle under the duramax, ~4000 lbs, I got enough uneven tread wear on the fronts to really bring out the road noise all the time I was on pavement.

I go through tires fairly quickly out here in the oil fields.

My next tires might be Michelin XPS Traction, to see if the softer michelin rubber lasts any longer, like a lot of folks out here are saying.