PDA

View Full Version : 3500 tires advice needed!

Scott Duprey
12-08-2003, 11:04
I have always enjoyed and found the info on these sites helpful and I need your opinion.

It is time to replace the tires on my 2002 3500 crew cab. I currenlty have @40K on the goodyears that came stock on the truck.

I was vibrating badly since about 30k and took it to the dealer and they advised new rubber and a good balance. I had a balance and now the vibration is really bad at higher speeds, over 60 mph.

Any advice on what to put on from real world owners is better then some tire sales person pushing what they like best on their car.

I am most interested in ride and snow/ice traction due to Michigan winters. I tow heavy all summer long so towing is important also.

Thank you for the info up front.

IndigoDually
12-08-2003, 14:00
I put on 235/85 Dunlop Rover AT's. I have them on my 2500 also and they work well. The snow traction is good along with dry and wet. They don't rub in the rear on the factory rims.

John

FstTrack
12-09-2003, 19:56
I am sure you need tires but check the u-joints mine died about then and made the truck vibrate like your describeing. just a thought

Diesel Dad
12-19-2003, 09:09
Hi,
I have two sets of tires for my 3500:
1). Michelin XPS Rib - great summer tire for towing but useless in the winter.

2). Cooper Discoverer A/T - good all year-round. Good grip on ice & snow, quiet on the highway, load range E. M&S rating but not severe snow service. Wanted a tire I could use to tow my trailer from Alberta to the south in the winter if I found time.

If I were buying today, I would buy Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo instead of the Coopers since they seem to have a more modern tread design but the Coopers have worked really well.

Kollin Syverson
12-20-2003, 16:29
Try the Dayton Timberline AT. Really nice tires and not overpriced. My 225/15 were about $70 a piece.

kavik
01-20-2004, 17:45
For towing, the only load range E's I could find made for the 3500 tire size were the coopers and the bridgestone revo's. I got the revos and they are good tires. I have a 3500 4x4 extended chassis cab, and the wear on any tire due to the weight of the truck is poor. I get about 25k before they need to be replaced.

Louis_Young
01-22-2004, 11:48
I like the Firestones that are original equipment. They wear well and I got 60K out of the first set and I am working on wearing out the second.

Bad Dawg
01-22-2004, 14:25
I'm running the Coopers. Been on a year and they seem to be doing just fine. I'd post a picture but it seems things have changed how to do it sence I was here last.