PDA

View Full Version : sandstorm on windshield

Tom Thordson
08-01-2005, 15:54
I just bought a new 2005 2500hd 6.6 and am hearing sounds from area of roof markers and or antennas at highway speeds. Sounds like sand hitting roof/windshield

redrider#1
08-01-2005, 16:24
Tom, ditto for me. I usually hear it at speeds above 65mph and especially while going into the wind or in high crosswind. Just sounds like a very light tapping noise at the top of the windshield above passenger's head. Nothing is loose outside or inside that I can find. I have heard that a bugshield can cause funny noises to come from the windshield and/or the roof sometimes, and I have one on my hood. Let me know if you figure this out.

hd90rider
08-01-2005, 16:37
Have someone reseal the side rubber moldings on the winshield. ;) Mine did the same thing. When I had a new windshield installed I asked the guy putting it in & he Knew right away what it was. He put extra sealer on the sides of the glass & I have never heard the noise since. :D

DmaxMaverick
08-01-2005, 21:49
This issue is an old one. It's usually caused by the installation of a bug deflector, changing the airflow, causing the windshield side molding to flap. You could use sealer, like suggested above, or 3M double sided tape, which is GM's TSB remedy. The side molding is easily R&R'd. Open the door, and remove the torx (may be phillips) screws at the A pillar.

redrider#1
08-02-2005, 10:40
I just took some 3M Adhesive to my windshield trim and sounds like it did the trick! No more noise at speed. Thanks DMax.

DmaxMaverick
08-03-2005, 02:04
Originally posted by redrider#1:
I just took some 3M Adhesive to my windshield trim and sounds like it did the trick! No more noise at speed. Thanks DMax. No prob, Redrider. Glad to help.