PDA

View Full Version : Electronic boost Control

Aryeh Levy
08-04-2005, 18:03
I've got the 1998 6.5 3500

Is the turbo master better than the electronic fooler?

If it's more useful, how much and where to buy?

Andy Chesek
08-05-2005, 03:54
1. The electronic boost fooler may produce slightly better performance numbers than the turbo master when using the stock engine computer.

2. The electronic boost fooler is not needed if you use an aftermarket computer, such as those offered by Kennedy Diesel, Heath Diesel, or Wester's.

3. Using the turbo master to control boost allows you to remove the vacuum pump, which can fail like anything else after a given length of service. Unless an exhaust brake has been added to your truck, you wouldn't have a use for a vacuum pump ...

I have a '99 K2500, and have gone the turbo master route. Currently sporting the stock engine computer, and I have left the vacuum pump in place for the time being. Removing the pump requires you to get a different size serpentine belt.

Kennedy
08-05-2005, 04:21
I'll add: The Turbo Master cannot compensate for elevation (baro) changes and can only do one thing. Regulate exhaust back pressure. I find the 96+ trucks to be extremely happy with the electronic fooling. I also find the 98+ stockprogramming is pretty darn solid and tough to beat unless there is a desire to go quite aggressive with the tuning.

Dvldog 8793
08-05-2005, 04:38
Howdy
I have went both routes, this is what I've found.
Both the elec control and the turbomaster work great. The elec was a little more responsive. the TM seemed to be more predictable and consitent. I removed the vac pump with no problems. I can't really say how much raw performance difference there was as I did major modifcations at the same time as the turbomaster. I like the turbomaster(Heath) set up but I also liked the boost control from Kennedy. I would have to agree that the 1999 computer program is pretty good. I run a Heath ECM and the fuel levels are higher but most people would never need this. I run at about 14-15 PSI, injectors maxed out and an intercooler(among other things :D ) @ days ago I was pulling a 12,000lb load on a long 4-5% grade I maintained 14psi for about 2 miles. EGT neve got above 900* and I didn't lose much speed.
L8r
Conley
BTW BOTH of the vendors listed above have provided me with INCREDIBLE customer service!

Barry Nave
08-06-2005, 13:05
Turbomaster has now been installed.
Reason was I gave up on getting the Vac. system to work. Never tried to R&R the ECM or have A Dealer Tec. run a scan.
I have ran the system vac by-passed,no towing or interstate driving. 60mph runs very little boost.
Now I'm running 75mph with hills and need boost control.
Waste gate is always closed in both systems until a set PSI is obtained by spring or Elect.
With me,no more trouble shooting Elec.Vac. when boost is lost.
Have replaced pump among other related items over the Yrs. on the Vac system to have paid for turbomaster times over.
Add to the turbomaster,Max-E 2.0. Just installed yesterday, Great package. ;)
Thought the Banks chip was great when installed over 6yrs ago.