PDA

View Full Version : BEST TIRES

more power 3
12-06-2003, 03:42
WHAT ARE THE BEST EVERY DAY TIRES?

jbplock
12-06-2003, 04:49
There are many opinions on tires but I like Michelin X Radial LT's. They are quiet, wear evenly and carry a load range E rating. They are also good in snow and ice. A good all around tire (IMHO). smile.gif

RichBailey
12-06-2003, 07:40
The two tires that I looked at were the Bridgestone Revos and Michelin LT. I wanted a larger tire but didn't want to change out rims, so went with 265's. I couldn't get the Bridgestones at the time so went with the Michelins. They are a fantastic tire. The major benefit was that the ride improved dramatically. The downside is that mileage dropped by 1 mpg, after being corrected for tire size.

afp
12-06-2003, 09:09
I just put on a set of General Ameri Track TRs in 285 on 16x8 rims. They are a "D" rated tire with a load capability of 3300 lbs per tire, which is more than the 3050 lbs of the "E" rated stock tires.

Previously I had 265s on stock rims. The difference in ride and and handling is significantly better with the 285/8" rim combo. Even 265s are a tad big for the stock 6.5" rims. However, you probably wouldn't notice anything wrong with the 265/stock rim (I didn't) until you put those same tires on an 8" rim.

I guess the "best" tire depends on what you do. If you primarily haul heavy loads on pavement, then a D or E rated tire with highway tread would probably be best. If you spend most of your time on rough roads ot off road, than a more agressive off road desgin might be in order.

If in addition to hauling/towing you ocassionally have snow or take your rig off-road, then an "all terrain" tire would be a good choice. I chose an all terrain tire--as do many--because of the flexibility it offers. Tires with highway tread just do not have reliable traction in the mud and on loose gravel--been there, done that. Conversly, the more agressive off-road tires don't last very long on the pavement. All terrain tires are primarily a highway tire with good tread life, but have a slighlty more agressive pattern which allows decent performance on mud and snow.

Blaine

mdadgar
12-06-2003, 11:17
I just put 265 Bridgestone Revos on my truck. They are GREAT tires, but they kind of suck for towing (I tow an 8Klb race trailer). The tread is just too tall on the AT tires and it squirms all over the place when you tow. A bit of an uncomfortable feeling.

It'll no doubt improve as the tread wears down. But in any case, since I bought the truck to tow, my next set of tires will likely be more road-oriented.

It's too bad, as the Revos really do rock.

- Mark

afp
12-06-2003, 12:43
Strange,

A thought. Could your "squirmy" ride when towing have more to do with the poor fit of 265s on factory rims than the AT tread design?

Blaine

HD-Nate
12-06-2003, 12:48
Originally posted by StrangeEngine:
The tread is just too tall on the AT tires and it squirms all over the place when you tow. A bit of an uncomfortable feeling.
- Mark :confused: :confused: :confused:

Had just the opposite thoughts. Towed twice with the stock 245 Steel Techs. The trailer (box trailer w/car approx 8k lbs - see photos) felt like it was pushing the truck. The 245's were inadequate on a hard stop even unloaded; the anti locks were kicking in constantly. Felt like I was driving a freight train with roller skate wheels.

Put the 285's on (same trailer and car combo)and the truck felt firmly planted to the ground and handled the additional weight better. Stopping was no longer an issue and the tail was no longer wagging the dog.

When I wear these out, they will be replaced with another set of Revo 285's http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif

mdadgar
12-06-2003, 13:50
Nate, what size rims are you using?

I never had a problem braking with stock 245's, but then my truck came from the factory with Bridgestones, not Firestones. That probably helped a bunch.

Blaine, it's possible that it's due to the tire crowning slightly on the 6.5" rims, but I suspect it's tread squirm (since it's the same basic feel as running full-tread tires at the racetrack). It's only noticeable with the trailer connected.

The 265's sure look a hell of a lot better, though.

- Mark

DMAXED
12-06-2003, 17:52
NITTO TERRA GRAPPLER

atvpilot
12-06-2003, 18:30
I was going to buy the Revo's but I got a deal on a set of Sport Kings for $100.00@ instead of 170.00 for the Revos. The Sport Kings are made I am told by BF Goodrich. I am going through my first major snowstorm with them right now and they are great. :D

JimWilson
12-10-2003, 19:04
Ditto on the Nitto's. :D

Burner
12-10-2003, 21:55
....... Nitto for me. I've had about every good tire made and I have yet to have one like the Nitto. 305's E rated with 3500 lbs. That's punk to me. Treadwear is 500 - Traction is "A" - Temp is "B"..... not bad and they are VERY well ballanced tires. --When they are new they will have some squerm. They have an open tread, open sips, that work very well in the rain as well as mud.

Burner