PDA

View Full Version : 4X4 2X4 indicator lights

Bill Knieper
12-05-2003, 20:03
The 4 wheel drive light does little to remind me that I am not in 2 wheel drive because all of the lights are yellow and in the same area. I would like to change my 4x4 light to red, or my 2x4 light to green. I have even thought about putting my yellow 2X4 light out so I will notice the 4X4 when it is on.
Has any one had this light assembly out and an idea about changing it?
Thanks

2K2AD
12-06-2003, 11:05
Don't know about changing the lights to different colors, but there was a discussion on this subject a while back. The dash has a 4X4 light in it that is only active on trucks equipped with a manual transfer case. A couple of enterprising folks figured out how to make it work on trucks with push button transfer cases. Here is the link:

4x4 Dash light enabling (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=002850)

Kevin

8.1PWR
12-07-2003, 07:32
I just read through the arcives. The pictures are no longer available. Do any of the the guys that posted the pictures and instuctions still have them? I would like to get a copy so I can hook up my light. Just last week I drove 25 miles in 4 wheel drive. I didn't notice until I took a sharp turn and felt it in the steering.

Bill Knieper
12-07-2003, 10:23
I have looked at the info on the thread mentioned above, and I think I can handle adding the wire, but I need some guidance on how to remove the guages/printed circuit board from the dash and how to remove the 4x4 push buttons.
Thanks

SoMnDMAX
12-07-2003, 12:47
Removing the bezel from the dash is easy- just tilt the steering column down, put the gear selector in low gear, and pull the bezel off. It's retained by about a dozen spring clips. Don't pull too much in one area, as you can break the bezel. The clips are spread out over the whole length of the trim piece.

Once the dash bezel is off, the 4x4 switch just pulls out of the dash. The gauge cluster is retained by four screws, if I remember right. Once those screws are removed, it'll just pull out as well.

I've never pulled the switch itself apart, so you are on your own, unless someone else chimes in with some tips.

2K2AD
12-08-2003, 15:19
Removing the bezel from the dash is easy- just tilt the steering column down, put the gear selector in low gear, and pull the bezel off. It's retained by about a dozen spring clips. Don't pull too much in one area, as you can break the bezel. The clips are spread out over the whole length of the trim piece.

Once the dash bezel is off, the 4x4 switch just pulls out of the dash. The gauge cluster is retained by four screws, if I remember right. Once those screws are removed, it'll just pull out as well.
Well, I went ahead and gave this a whirl tonight. I don't own a digital camera (sorry no pics), but I would not be afraid to give this a try - it was fairly easy.

Pull the dash apart like SoMn said. There are two connectors on the 4x4 switch. The bottom wire on the bottom connector puts out a ground when you are in 4 Hi. I verified this with a meter right at the back of the connector. The wire on my truck was brown.

Once I had the IP loose, I disconnected it from the plug on top and took it into the warm house. The black back panel just unclips and you are looking at the back of the IP ckt board. You can work the board off with a little care. The only thing holding on to the IP is the post connectors from the gauges. You will see them from the back, they are grouped in threes and fours and stick all the way through the board. They are a little snug, but if you are patient, the ckt board will pop loose. Do not pull too hard on the board, it has a small connector on the left side (looking at it from the rear) that stays attached. The wires from this connector have some slack in them and will give you a few inches clearance to look around and see what you need to.

Once you have the ckt board free, look on the far right (from the back of the board) and you will see DS17. If you hold the assembly up to some light you will see that it corresponds with the 4WD display on the far right (from the back) of the IP. DS17 is connected to R30 on one side and a 12V plane on the other. This board is single sided (at least in this area) so the only solder runs you need to look at are on the back. If you follow the run down to R30, this is where you will connect a wire. Make sure you connect the wire to the far side of R30 (not the side connected to DS17) keeping it in your new ckt. Once I had my solder point picked out, I gently remounted the ckt board - you do not need to get to the inside of it any longer. You can solder this wire directly on the back side of the board. The hole that R30 is clenched through is big enough to take a small gauge wire (I used 22) in beside it. I used about two feet of wire and trimmed the excess once I routed my wire.

Once all the soldering is done, I clipped the black plastic back panel on, routing the new wire out at the top near the factory connector. Reconnect and reinstall the IP and route your new wire through the hole that the 4x4 selector is mounted in.

I tested my new light by turning the ignition to on and grounding my wire. There is not too many places to find ground, I used a brass screw on the left side of the radio.

I then cut the brown wire I had previously identified and spliced in my new wire.

Sanpped it all back together and viola!

Thanks to DMAXSTER for the procedure!

Kevin

JF
12-14-2003, 05:36
8.1pwr .... I took the pictures of wiring 4x4 light on dash and still have them. Send me your e-mail address and I will send them to you. jfrank14@comcast.net

GMCHORSHAM
12-16-2003, 00:44
Hey guys, you have stirred my interest?
Do these details only apply to D/M's. Would earlier model trucks have a similar, IP display
light. I am not happy with the current floor 4x4
light. The other problem is that my vehicle has been converted to R/H drive, the 4x4 selector
stick remains in the OEM position, which puts it
across the other side of the transmission hump.
Making it even harder to ID when the light it on especially in day light summer periods.
Thanks for any advise.
Have Fun, Safely.
Rod.

8.1PWR
12-20-2003, 16:47
I did it, I got my dash 4X4 light to work. Thanks to 2K2AD for the instructions and to JF for offering to e-mail me the pics. JF I finished the project before I looked at the site again, Thanks. The light comes on in 4 high but goes out in 4 low. I tried a jumper wire between 4H and 4L but then all the lights stayed on, so I took it out. Has anyone tried a oneway diode? or come up with a way to have the dash light on in 4H and 4L but have it indicate what you are in with the push buttons?

2K2AD
12-21-2003, 05:28
Glad it worked out for you. DMAXSTER figured it out, I just followed his lead and rewrote the instructions a little differently. The problem this whole thing was trying to solve was leaving your truck in 4WD accidentally. I do not think anyone has tried to wire the 4LO switch to the light as it would be quickly apparent that you were in 4LO.

Kevin

[ 12-27-2003, 03:59 AM: Message edited by: 2K2AD ]

dmaxster
12-26-2003, 20:27
well you can have both do it...you have install a diode...from radio shack...can't remember the number but it would be a 1 amp diode...usually like $.99 for it....hook them up in parallel and you should be good to go....cus it will elliminate the back feed you get. easy to do. come off of each 4HI and 4LO with a diode and hook to one wire going to the 4X4 Light in dash. easy to do...not really hard....didn't do it myslef....never felt any need seen as though if you dont know your still in 4LO shouldn't be driving an highway anyways.....dmaxster :cool: :cool:

AOPA Roger
12-29-2003, 03:26
Now I wonder if this will also work on my old 97 Tahoe? Any guesses? Anybody want to try it first?

CopperStar
01-01-2004, 12:22
Use caution if you have a 2003. The panel is NOT the same as the 01-02 (at least mine is not). Followed the above instructions without looking to see what model year. The gauges are soldered to the circiut board and the only way to get the board off is to pull the needles from the front of the guages (the problem is that they are not keyed so you don't know exactly where to put them back to for proper calibration). Also, on my instrument cluster, there isn't even a 4x4 light there any more (unfortunately did not figure this out until I had the whole thing apart **big mess**).

Minn-kota
01-02-2004, 19:27
CopperStar- I was wondering the same thing as I was reading through the replies. I know that in 2003 the wires are different for many things and can't take 2001-02 instructions to heart because of that. Too bad. I always wondered why they didn't light up that indicator when in 4x4. Would be nice.