PDA

View Full Version : WTF happened to the price of fuel last night?!?!?

JeepSJ
08-04-2005, 13:03
4 stations around my house all bumped the price of diesel by 30-35 cents! Yesterday prices were $2.65-2.69/gal, and today they are $2.95-2.99!!

What happened? Did I miss something?

For comparative purposes, gasoline average in my neighborhood is 2.59/2.69/2.79 for reg/mid/prem.

JoeyD
08-04-2005, 13:16
I think that the stations that sell diesel try to make up the lost profit margain on the gas.

trbankii
08-04-2005, 13:42
Gas prices here jumped about $0.06~7 a gallon the other night...

Somebody said the recent death in the Saudi royal family has everyone nervous.

nvmtnlion
08-04-2005, 14:55
$2.69/Gal yesterday. $3.01/Gal this morning.. kinda like visiting a procotologist with BIG fingers.

JeepSJ
08-04-2005, 15:11
I'm getting really tired of gas prices jumping whenever someone farts in the mid-east. I say we make a deal with the Soviets and start buying all of our oil from them. Let's invest in helping them build their oil producing infrastructure for a reduced rate on oil.

DmaxMaverick
08-04-2005, 17:22
Is this just #2, or is gas going up too?

If it's just Diesel, there is something else at work. I can't imagine a need for heating oil now.

Process changes at the refineries? EPA constraints? New tax? WTF is right! WHO is allowing this to happen?

I haven't been into town today, so I don't know what's happened in my area yet. As of late last night, the prices were unchanged. However, I'm not too optimistic with what I'll find later.

JeepSJ
08-04-2005, 20:47
It was just #2 here - gas didn't go up.

tom.mcinerney
08-05-2005, 00:22
CA Refinery Fire + dead Sheik...

<http://fleetowner.com/news/topstory/west_coast_refinery_california_diesel_price_record _080405/>

trbankii
08-05-2005, 02:26
Could be futures on the heating oil market. I've seen that the furnace oil companies around here are already making deliveries to houses on my street and advertising to lock in rates for the coming year.

mhagie
08-05-2005, 14:53
In the days of natural gas and propane why would anyone use heating oil?
We quit using heating oil here 40 years ago.
Merle

JeffsTowTruck
08-05-2005, 16:21
I FEEL FOR YOU WEST COAST GUYS :eek: 2.69/ 3.01 :eek:
IT IS JUST 2.25 TO 2.30 HERE IN THE EAST. I REMEMBER WHEN IT WAS LESS THAN THE COST OF THE REG. GAS ( WHICH IS ABOUT 2.02 HERE).
I ALWAYS HEARD IT COST LESS TO MAKE DIESEL THAN GAS. I GUESS BURNING OLD FRENCH FRY OIL IS SOUNDING PRETTY GOOD. :D

tom.mcinerney
08-05-2005, 16:43
Shoulda been
--dead shiek
--CA refinery
--hurricanes in Gulf of Mexico.
{http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/05/business/05hurricane.html}

USA's failure to build any refineries in a long time, and the fact that the only 'spare' available crude is 'heavy'(high sulfur), which most of our ltd 'spare' refinery capacity can't handle, means a small refinery prob is a big issue. Iran Iraq Venezuela political probs. Asian surging demand....volatile situation.

[http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/06/business/worldbusiness/06saudi.html?hp&ex=1123300800&en=326e7158eea2fabb&ei=5094&partner=homepage]

arveetek
08-06-2005, 06:29
Perhaps it's just a west coast thing?

Diesel prices are still relatively stable here in southwest Missouri. As of 10:00 p.m. last night (8-5-05), Flying J was selling diesel for $2.23 a gallon, and regular unleaded at $2.09.

:confused:

Casey

DA BIG ONE
08-06-2005, 15:10
It seems not only the price being high, but here in Florida we are seeing a drop across the board in mpg, be it gas, or diesel fuel.

I know lots of people who all of a sudden are getting less milage with the higher priced fuels here in South Florida. Driving habits remain about the same.

Journeydog
08-06-2005, 19:30
Paid $2.34 in NM on Wednesday morning, $2.69 in AZ Wednesday afternoon. Visiting friends in SoCal and had to pay $2.99 on Thursday morning. Good deal (aarrrgghhhh), because by Friday morning it was $3.19!!!! Couldn't afford to venture out to check prices today. Hope I can make it back home before the fill up cost outdoes my house payment.

My feeble theory is that since the Grand Poobah died, the wellhead price is soaring. Diesel is almost as easy to make as KoolAid, so it's probably a quick in-out product and the first to reflect increased prices. Maybe the gas folks are going to do the big gasp next week or so? Or it's just stick it to the truckers month, because they can.

20050420|7|006071|000022|69.19.2.78
08-07-2005, 11:50
The diesel prise`s in the Netherlands:

for one liter (thats about 1/4 gallon i think)you have to pay about 1.02 euro and that wood on this moment 1.24 american $$$$ So for one gallon that wood be 4.96 $$$$ :eek:

Maby you gais are a litle happier naw tongue.gif

ZZ
08-07-2005, 14:32
Crude set another record price the other day. They said it was because the Saudi king died and the US reserves were low again. Our price in the Bootheel of Missouri for diesel is about $2.399 Gas is running $2.079

On a side note; they are already saying that natural gas is going to be very high this winter. They usually stock pile through the summer, but they had to use a bunch of it to generate electricity for the nation wide heat waves.

arveetek
08-08-2005, 06:10
I reported earlier that fuel prices were stable at around $2.23, and they still are, but now gasoline has jumped up here to around $2.17 to $2.23...almost the same price as diesel. Hmmmmmm...

As far as the high winter fuel prices go...I read a similar article in the paper last week, and I'm really sick of the media going around with "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" mentality.

Some friends of mine own a local RV park, and they sell propane as well. The local paper called and asked how they felt about the death of the Saudi dude, and how they felt about the coming winter. They told him that they had just had their best July ever (so much for high fuel prices keeping RVers at home), and that their contract price for propane for the coming winter was just a few cents higher than last year. Of course, none of this made it into the paper article. It was all just doom and gloom, and my, how are we ever going to survive? It makes me so mad! They even used a picture of my friend pumping propane, plastered it on the front page of the paper, and the whole article was about the high price of fuel and the coming winter. His name was nowhere in the article! Now people will think he's scared too.

If it ain't bad, doom and gloom news, it apparently ain't worth reporting. Idiot reporters/editors... :mad:

Okay, rant off! tongue.gif

Casey

On edit: here's a link to the local news article, in case anyone was interested:

Joplin Globe doom and gloom report (http://www.joplinglobe.com/archives/story.php?story_id=107103)

[ 08-08-2005, 06:28 AM: Message edited by: arveetek ]

David Brady
08-08-2005, 08:14
Yes, I visited Hemet on Sunday and saw a price of $3.15 per gallon - was trying to figure out what they were selling. Usually Riverside Co is cheaper but not this time.

moondoggie
08-08-2005, 09:07
Good Day!

6.5 NOVA: I don't have the numbers for your country, but most high European fuel prices are due to massive taxation. I'm actually surprised you're paying that little.

I wonder if they're already charging us for the stuff the refineries need to remove sulfur from our fuel. I know a guy that works at the local refinery, & he says they're installing the hardware right now. Then, of course, the price of diesel fuel will increase again because, after it's refined, they have to process it to remove the sulfur.

I'm doing what I can to reduce/eliminate my need for fuel. I feel sorry for you folks that have to buy it for your livelyhood. :( I know if I did, I'd be working hard at figuring out how to make it clear to my customers that increased prices are directly due to my increased fuel costs.

Good Luck & Blessings!

JeepSJ
08-08-2005, 14:49
It is getting to the point where the ROI for investing in the equipment to start brewing biodiesel is getting short enough to justify the cost. Get a few people together to share the cost and start brewing 100-200 gallon batches...

Maybe I'll just get some investors and build a big enough operation to sell it commercially...

JD Diesel
08-10-2005, 16:25
Yeah the *******s are screwing us again. paid 2.96 a gal. :mad: JD :mad:

ZZ
08-10-2005, 19:40
Just read where crude hit a new record at $65 a barrel today. Any slight excuse moves it on up.

The day is soon coming where some Folk will only be able to drive to work, the grocery store and the Doctor offices.

Scooby
08-11-2005, 01:38
DA BIG ONE-- I have noticed a drop in mileage in Central Florida too. Last weekend I went down to Davie Fl. and got only 17 mpg. I usually get 19. I didnt drive any faster, or run the ac any harder than normal. I got some Power Service cetane boost to see if that will help. I was also wondering about fuel quality.

JeepSJ
08-11-2005, 08:44
And it is up again...the stations that were 2.99 last week are all now 3.09.

Hmm, where did I put that gas motor I pulled out...

DA BIG ONE
08-11-2005, 11:26
Originally posted by Scooby:
DA BIG ONE-- I have noticed a drop in mileage in Central Florida too. Last weekend I went down to Davie Fl. and got only 17 mpg. I usually get 19. I didnt drive any faster, or run the ac any harder than normal. I got some Power Service cetane boost to see if that will help. I was also wondering about fuel quality. Something is WRONG with the fuel down here, besides the price!

Marty Lau
08-11-2005, 12:19
Price jumped here Yesterday the day before I paid $2.49.9 which had just droped 4 cents then BOOM to $2.63.9
Demand for gasoline in the USA is staying stable despite higher prices people are not changing their usage just hosing it full and paying the price.

jspringator
08-11-2005, 13:21
Just paid $2.34 in Frankfort, KY today, 3 cents lower than gas.

tom.mcinerney
08-11-2005, 18:15
16Ga:
>>Demand for gasoline in the USA is staying stable despite higher prices

This was the news in '73 & '79, too. Most of us are pretty well locked in as a result of work/shop commutes.

ZZ
08-11-2005, 19:29
Crude hit a new record of $66 today. I paid $2.359 today. I had almost 1/4 of a tank and it still took $50 to filler up. :mad:

Hubert
08-12-2005, 04:44
It was on the national news last night that within a year a barrel of oil was expected to be ~ $75 or more.

They had a few "experts" talk about how consumption really had not been effected by high prices yet. So if nothing is changing consumption, economics dictate no reduction in prices. It sucks but thats a free economy.

My company gets a surcharge added to UPS shipping, steel deliveries, etc. Sooner or later its going to start a ripple effect in the economy but not necessarily seen at the pump price.

Dimsdale
08-12-2005, 05:08
Yeah, its a free economy all right, but we are getting hosed by the speculators at the moment. As stated above, an increase in a barrel of oil translates to an immediate increase at the pump, even thought the fuel bought today won't reach the pumps for months. Naturally, any reduction in price is slower than molasses running uphill in the winter!

Notice that the price surge due to the past few hurricanes never reversed after they passed with no damage to the gulf oil rigs?

I think it is time for the truckers to go on strike, and they are talking about it. I suggest you prepare for the worst and stock up on a few items to weather the storm.

Secondly, yes, no refineries have been built or updated since the seventies. That means that any small breakdown in a refinery will cause a price spike, likely permanent if the record holds.

EPA mandated fuels, tailor made for specific regions of the country, cause the price to go up as well. Watch what happens to the price of ULSD.

Lastly, we have huge reserves we cannot tap due to tourist/environmentalist watermelon pressure. Huge reserves off the coast of Florida and California remain untouched, as well as whatever is in ANWR.

On the good side, there is a drive to make people buy more economical cars better suited to their needs rather than auto maker profit margins, but the cost of cars nowadays make the payback time on fuel savings stretch into years, even with high prices. And then there is low tradeins for gas guzzlers.

The high price for fuel makes otherwise expensive sources of fuel economically practical, i.e. the tar sands/shale of Canada.

I sure am glad I bought a Diesel! A gas powered Suburban would be killing me right now!

Hubert
08-12-2005, 07:04
Its upsetting but the "pain" threshold has not been reached yet for reduced consumption.

With our free economy its not what it cost to make that determines sales price. Its what someone is willing to pay.

As long as you want a Suburban and willing to pay the price for it why would anyone want to sell you cheap fuel. They are in it for the money period!

David Brady
08-14-2005, 04:58
This was a first as B20 was cheaper than diesel average $.10. My fill up was only $65 - I am going to look for a VW to commute with. Has anyone pumped up the old VW diesel?

trbankii
08-15-2005, 07:03
Gas has taken a couple jumps in the past week. Filled up the car with unleaded regular on Saturday at $2.35 - Sunday it was $2.45. A little over a week ago it was $2.21.

Diesel is finally lower than unleaded premium. I've also heard a couple people saying things about switching from premium to mid-grade or regular. Now you're going to have people destroying their engines and increasing pollution to save money...

JohnC
08-15-2005, 13:12
Originally posted by JDave:
Has anyone pumped up the old VW diesel? How old? A friend has a '95 Jetta TDI that's a freekin' rocket ship. His 80something golf was a slug...

BTW, if you take into account inflation, crude oil and gasoline today are both cheaper today than they were while Carter was in office. Not that that's necessarily a good thing...

moondoggie
08-16-2005, 06:08
Good Day!

trbankii : Could you email me through one of the moderators about how

JohnC
08-16-2005, 06:57
Originally posted by moondoggie:
trbankii : Could you email me through one of the moderators ...We don't have a good way to do this. Just start a new thread for the topic.

trbankii
08-16-2005, 07:49
[quote]Originally posted by moondoggie:
[b] Good Day!

trbankii : I

Craig M
08-16-2005, 14:07
In beautiful California diesel is now about $0.30 to $0.40 higher than the cheapest unleaded gas, at the same station. It has never been that much higher than unleaded before. Right now I have to search for any diesel less that $3.00 a gallon.

trbankii
08-17-2005, 04:31
As of last night, regular unleaded is $2.55 near me and premium is $2.79. Diesel is still $2.56 for some reason. A week and a half ago regular unleaded was $2.21 and diesel was $2.53.

Iain
08-17-2005, 06:20
Up here diesel is still about $0.12 / Litre cheaper than regular gas. It is currently about $0.88 cdn / Litre which is roughly $2.49 US/ US gallon. Gasoline (regular) is $2.79 US / US gallon.

Here in Alberta we make our money off of drilling for the oil and gas so the high cost of oil right now is a boom for us. But it is coming at a cost to the general public. As long as the price stays up I know we'll have plenty of work this coming winter in the exploration side.

There will be a ripple effect eventually through the economy due to the high price of fuel. Some of the people I know in the trucking side of things are charging 20% and more as a fuel surcharge to their hauling rates. At 5 -6 mpg, I cannot blame them. Eventually this surcharge is going to get passed on to consumer goods.

Iain

JeepSJ
08-17-2005, 07:16
Monday on my way home from work, I pass a Mobil and an Arco (across the street from each other), they are both at 2.99. Wow - great deal! Tuesday on my way to work, I notice that the Mobil jumped to 3.09 overnight, but the Arco was still at 2.99. On my way home, the Arco was at 3.09.

moondoggie
08-17-2005, 07:36
Good Day!

JohnC: 10-4. :D

Blessings!

tom.mcinerney
08-17-2005, 18:08
Paid $2.89/gal today.

Latest relevant observations:

1.) Indonesia, a traditional petroleum exporter , has morphed into an importer due to general mismanagement....

2.) The '73 and '79 price spikes resulted from SUPPLY disruptions (OPEC+retaliation for U.S. policies). Since the current high prices are a consequence of excessive DEMAND , and high prices will somewhat discourage/decrease demand, the present situation contains some 'negative feedback' corrective tendencies. An 'industry expert' on a recent news show indicated that within 3-5 years another 5-7 million barrels per day of petrol should come on line. {Don't know if that will satiate U.S+China+India!}.

a5150nut
08-18-2005, 15:44
$2.89 I wish. Premium is 2.87, Diesel....$3.119! :eek:

kojo
08-19-2005, 10:42
about 1.00 euro here for 1 liter, 1 euro is 1,24 us$ and 1 us gallon is about 3.8 liters...
I wish i could move to us and i'd be happu to pay 3$/gallon is i would have some work in there.. now when i pay rent for my apartment and fuel bill for my truck thats about 50% from my income after taxes....

tom.mcinerney
08-22-2005, 10:34
Fresh article concerning world petroleum supply by Peter Mass Sun 8/21/'05 NYTs Mag:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/21/magazine/21OIL.html
free for a week with registtration.

tom.mcinerney
08-28-2005, 15:37
(Caribbean) production facilities are abandoned, refineries on US/Gulf of Mexico shore are battened down.
http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/us_comp/

Fr NOAA:
"WTNT42 KNHC 282047
TCDAT2
HURRICANE KATRINA DISCUSSION NUMBER 24
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
5 PM EDT SUN AUG 28 2005

KATRINA IS MAINTAINING A CLASSIC PRESENTATION ON SATELLITE
IMAGES...AND CATEGORY 5 INTENSITY. THE CENTRAL PRESSURE MEASURED
BY A NOAA HURRICANE HUNTER PLANE AT 1755Z AND 1923Z WAS 902
MB...WHICH IS THE FOURTH LOWEST ON RECORD IN THE ATLANTIC BASIN
BEHIND HURRICANE GILBERT OF 1988...THE LABOR DAY HURRICANE OF
1935...AND HURRICANE ALLEN OF 1980.
...."

ZZ
09-03-2005, 22:14
She sure done a number on us, huh?

turbovair
09-08-2005, 09:40
Saw an article recently on the internet (MSN)regarding fuel prices worldwide.....

Highest Price:
Netherlands 6.77 a gallon

Lowest Price:
Argentina .12 a gallon

Also, saw on national news (CBS) last night, fuel should drop .50 a gallon by Christmas:)

DA BIG ONE
09-08-2005, 22:04
Originally posted by turbovair:
Saw an article recently on the internet (MSN)regarding fuel prices worldwide.....

Highest Price:
Netherlands 6.77 a gallon

Lowest Price:
Argentina .12 a gallon

Also, saw on national news (CBS) last night, fuel should drop .50 a gallon by Christmas:) I think it is still .05 in IRAQ.....

Herman_Bolger
09-21-2005, 16:49
It's Wendsday night And price of GAS is 99 cents a liter which equals $3.78 a us gal. The cars are lined up down the the street for 1/2 a mile to fill up, WHY?? Because the next town up the highway, the price $1.79 a liter, which equals $6.76 a us gal. Diesel ussually runs about 2-5 cents a liter cheaper, OUCH!!! I can't fricken beleive this! Oh it gets better, my trucks empty.Anybody elses jumping up tonight??
Herman

oka065
09-21-2005, 19:29
G,day all, here in Australia we are paying around AU$1.30 per litre this is about A$7.30 per gallon. We drill our own holes & then sell it to OPEC. Hope you feel better now.

Herman_Bolger
09-22-2005, 07:52
Oka,

We over here drill our own holes and send it to the US and they are selling our gas at about 2.50 - 2.75 a gal and we buy it back and charge ourselves 3.75 to now over 6 dollars a gal.
I think the people in Canada need to overthrow the Goverment and, oh well whats the use. I still filled the truck up this morning.

DA BIG ONE
09-22-2005, 22:00
Originally posted by oka065:
G,day all, here in Australia we are paying around AU$1.30 per litre this is about A$7.30 per gallon. We drill our own holes & then sell it to OPEC. Hope you feel better now. Car jacken is common here would not be too far fetched to see fuel truck jacken become the in thing too, Black Market will make a killing.

However, GPS is installed on some of those rigs now, not to mention you'll probably be called a terrorist and when found used as target practice.

Now back to earth, I did some research and found that Florida has a good amount of $$$ going to their tills from imported fuel, so why screw with that by having your own refineries in Florida?

"Oil from Alabama, Mississippi, Texas, or?, is imported to Florida".