PDA

View Full Version : Dash light problems

jcummins
07-22-2005, 02:50
Dash and radio lights are out. I cannot find any other problem with any lights. I did a search here, and from that I have checked the illum, and ign1 fuse in the side panel on the dash, and also checked the park lp fuse in the fuse block under the hood. All of them are good. Fuses were pulled and tested on a meter.

Although I can

DmaxMaverick
07-22-2005, 08:06
I'd suspect the headlamp switch. Although not as common in later trucks, previous models were prone to this failure.

Do the lamps light up when the switch is turned to "manual", or are they still out then? The dimmer rheostat generates a lot of heat, and moreso with more dimming. You can feel the heat at the right side of the switch while the lights are on. If you turn on the lights and there is no heat, the rheostat is probably bad. It is also possible the rheostat is the cause of your dead battery.

david
07-29-2005, 14:01
You are going to cry when you hear this!!!
Mine did the same thing,i was going nuts then i moved the dimmer and they came back on WOW did i feel dumb!!!!!!!!!!
David :confused: :confused: :D :D

madmatt
07-31-2005, 07:09
Hey David don't feel bad. You wouldn't belive how many people come into the shop w/ that concern and thats all thats wrong.

jcummins
07-31-2005, 08:37
Got a chance to open up dash and look at this. My problem is not the position of the dimmer. The dimmer is inside what appears to be the enitre hedlight switch. I suspect the dimmer part can't be replaced and you replace as a unit. How can I test for the problem without buying this switch. Does anyone know the wire colors for the dash lights? Don't know the price, but as with anything, these parts from the dealer are much higher than anyone likes.

DmaxMaverick
07-31-2005, 12:01
The dimmer is part of the headlamp switch, and not available separately. The switch lists at gmpartsdirect for $30.45. The dealer should be around $50-$60. The GM part # is 15755595.

On edit:
Going through GM's diagnostic chart, if all fuses are good (specifically the "ILLUM" fuse), all connections are good, and all the i/p lamps and radio display do not illuminated, the only remedy is replacing the headlamp switch. There are several steps in the diagnostic, but it boils down to this. I suggest replacing the "ILLUM" fuse, even if it appears good. Sometimes they open, and don't look like it. I'm having the exact same issue with the switch in my 2000 Impala, and the diagnostic results are the same. New switch on the way.

[ 07-31-2005, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: DmaxMaverick ]

jcummins
08-14-2005, 09:32
Got the replacement switch, and finally had a chance to change yesterday. That is not the problem. I should have realized that, since I have some air bag gauges that I wired off the ILLUM fuse. They are on, and the dimmer switch can fade those lights.

All the dash lights including the portion of the radio lights that light the switches are out. The display for radio station number and time are ok.

So

DmaxMaverick
08-14-2005, 10:11
Bad news. I/P cluster. Get it out and check continuity between the connector and the lamp sockets.

Ironic....

Just the other day my I/P lamps went on the blink. On mine, they only operate on full bright, no dim. When I try to dim, they go out. They only work at full, just before the dome light comes on.

If you need the connector diagram to help your t-shoot, give me an email addy I can send it to. Or, drop me an email at my handle at yahoo.com. Our problems are probably different, but it just seems ironic. I suspect my problem is the rheostat. If your original switch is good, I may take that one you just bought off your hands.

jcummins
08-14-2005, 10:58
sent you email to yahoo.com.

olimaxx
08-14-2005, 13:16
did you change your door handles recently?

DmaxMaverick
08-20-2005, 06:43
BTT for Jcummins

jcummins
08-20-2005, 07:18
DmaxMaverick bumped this problem up...had trouble locating it. I posted the below in another thread that I started....thought I would add here.
____

I

jcummins
08-20-2005, 08:57
FYI for all.

Found the problem I created

jcummins
08-21-2005, 09:22
FYI for anyone curious. Found the problem.

An aux EGT gauge I had install prior to Attitude, has a short in it. When it went on the blink, I did not correlate it