PDA

View Full Version : bilsteins vs monroe

markm
12-03-2003, 09:01
Thinking about replacing the OEM shocks on my 2500HD. Did a search and read all the posts on the bilsteins. Since I am mechanically challenged, checked with several local shops about Bilsteins and installation. All shops would have to order them. A couple of shops suggested the heavy duty Monroe shocks for my truck, said the Bilsteins would give a much stiffer ride. (of course they have the Monroe in stock).

After reading everyone's opinion of the Bilsteins, that seems the way to go, but just want to make sure.

Hound
12-03-2003, 09:11
Mark, There's really NOTHING difficult to installing shocks. A bolt and nut on the bottom of the fronts, a nut on the top of the fronts, 2 bolts and nuts on the rears and a bolt and nut on the bottom of the rears. It is VERY easy to install them yourself. A ratchet, couple of sockets, extension and a couple of wrenches. In all I think you'd be amazed at how simple the entire operation is from start to finish. That said, I'd go with the Bilstein's. It is true they are a bit stiffer but the wallow from big bumps and corners will be gone for good. The Bilstein's are #1 IMHO. smile.gif

sonofagun
12-03-2003, 12:53
Mark,

Hound has it right. Easy to do. On the front your have to use 2 wrenches, one to hold the top of the shock and one to turn the nut.

I would not use Monroes. They aren't much better than the OEM units in my opinion. the Bilsteins work better and last a lot longer. These are HD trucks and we need to control the ride and the load.

Regards,
Bob

Turbo Al
12-05-2003, 12:20
Markm;
I just put a set of Monroe reflex on my truck yesterday no real problems or effort required bolts were really not all that tight.
I have not driven it any distance yet, but won't be able to get a real reading on the shocks because I cranked the torsion bar bolts about 6 turns each which gave me 1 in higher on the front end.

Al

Professor
12-05-2003, 12:53
I'm not satified with my Reflexes (the best of Monroe Line)on my LD. I wish I would have bought the Bilsteins.

SoCalDMAX
12-05-2003, 18:06
I think the suspensions are set up very soft for a HD truck. The spring rate controls the stiffness of the ride, the shocks control the damping of the suspension. I bought the Ranchos, but would recommend the Blisteins due to their quality. They can be found for around $225 a set, I think.

Replacing shocks is super simple, 45 min with hand tools and you're all done.

Regards, Steve

silverback
12-07-2003, 14:24
I won't call myself mechanically challenged, but certainly inexperienced at changing shocks. Can you guys be more specific on the steps required? It looks like you would have to jack up the front and take your wheels off. Is that true? The backs look easier. Son of a gun you said that: On the front your have to use 2 wrenches, one to hold the top of the shock and one to turn the nut. Can you give a little more detail? Do you mean an adjustable wrench to hold the shock? Steve (So Cal Dmax) you say 45 minutes with hand tools. Can you list the tools? Do you need a torque wrench? Anyhow I'm going to get the Bilsteins and do the install. I've had them stock on my last two Toyotas and they're awesome.
Thanks,
Ken

JimWilson
12-10-2003, 19:03
No, you don't have to jack up the truck (at least I didn't have to). In order to reach the top bolt on the front shock I just stuck my head into the wheel well.

The top of the front shocks will usually have two nuts (okay, knockoff the laughing you perverts! ;) ). One on the top of the frames shock mounting point, and the other below it. The one below is used to hold onto the shock while your loosening the top nut. If you didn't have the bottom nut the shaft would just spin in a circle. An adjustable could work their.

No torque wrench is needed. Just make sure you tighten everything up really good. But don't over tighten the top nut on the front shocks, because you'll compress the bushing too much and cause problems. That should be tight, but not really tight.

ZL-1
12-20-2003, 07:23
Originally posted by markm:
Thinking about replacing the OEM shocks on my 2500HD. Did a search and read all the posts on the bilsteins. Since I am mechanically challenged, checked with several local shops about Bilsteins and installation. All shops would have to order them. A couple of shops suggested the heavy duty Monroe shocks for my truck, said the Bilsteins would give a much stiffer ride. (of course they have the Monroe in stock).

After reading everyone's opinion of the Bilsteins, that seems the way to go, but just want to make sure.

ZL-1
12-20-2003, 07:51
After driving the dually for a couple of months, I really enjoyed the ride. Very comfortable for a big truck. The Bilsteins made the ride stiffer, but not rough. The back shocks were easy, but the front ones were a bit tough, but can be done at home in the driveway. At my local Autozone, I bought a tool made by Lysle, I believe thats the correct spelling, that will hold the top of the front shock, while turning the nut under the top so you can compress the washer to the a-arm. I also used the oem washers since they were only a few months old. The hardest part was, with the tires on and lying on my back on the ground, was to push up on the bottom part of the shock to set it into the place to bolt it in. The rear two took 15 to 45 min., after gathering all the tools for the job, the front driver side 35 to 45, front pass. side 15 min. The most important thing to remember is not to get shook up. Hey USA-1, you need some of these. HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL THE MEMBERS OF THIS GREAT WEBSITE, AND REMEMBER ALL AMERICANS OVERSEAS FIGHTING TO PROTECT THE RIGHT SO WE CAN DO WHAT WE DO ON THIS NEAT WEBSITE.