PDA

View Full Version : Trans Leak?

MikeyB
07-17-2005, 16:57
Just returned from a drive from southern New Mexico back to Denver. This morning I had two spots on the driveway. I got under the truck and noticed red fluid (ATF) sprayed on the bottom of the bed behind the output shaft of the trans just above the first u-joint. I crawled underneath thoroughly and couldn't find a leak or any other fluid. The fluid was just a light film with road grime mixed in on the bed bottom. Is there a vent on the trans that could have caused this? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

madmatt
07-17-2005, 19:01
yes there is a vent on your tranny. clean off the fluid, check the level and replace the factory non-vented dipstick w/ PN# 15115171.

MikeyB
07-18-2005, 09:39
MadMatt,

Thanks for the reply. So I take it the vent is somewhere on top of the trans case and building up pressure and leaking during a long drive?! The dipstick you mentioned will relieve the pressure before blowing out the vent saving me from a big mess. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Mike

madmatt
07-18-2005, 15:33
you got it! with out seeing the truck, I can't be positive thats what happening, but thats where I'd go w/ it if it looked to be coming from on top.

oyazi
12-20-2005, 16:10
Originally posted by madmatt:
yes there is a vent on your tranny. clean off the fluid, check the level and replace the factory non-vented dipstick w/ PN# 15115171. madmatt ~ could you verify the PN#15115171? Chkd it out on partszoneonline.com and said it was an INDICATOR @ List Price: $6.25. Somethings amiss ~

Thanks

hogbody
12-20-2005, 16:32
There is a tsb on it....if still under warranty the should replace it for nothing....that is what they did with mine.