PDA

View Full Version : Grinding

jlwest63
07-17-2005, 15:38
Hi all,
I have a 05 2500 4x4 D/A CC with 1100 miles on it. When I apply med to firm pressure on the breaks I hear a low pitch grinding and feel it in the floor board. It is like the breaks are wore out but I checkedthem today and all is good. Any ideas before I take it in?

madmatt
07-17-2005, 18:38
Has it been wet out in your area.

markrinker
07-17-2005, 18:45
I bet with that low miles, you have rusted rotors from the truck sitting on the lot.

Put a good load behind it and get on those brakes two or three times. You'll get through the rust and down to the shiny stuff.

Sounds like a nice rig!

jlwest63
07-18-2005, 01:04
Yes it has been wet. It has not been sitting very much though. ;)

I pulled the wheels and checked the brakes and found no rust, they looked good. I may drive it for a little while and see if it gets better or worse.

Thanks

madmatt
07-18-2005, 15:41
A combination of moisture and brake dust makes for a lot of bad sounding noises from your binders. hit'em all w/ some brake cleaner, blow them out good w/ air then go put a few miles on it slowing from 30mph to a stop several times allowing time to cool between each stop.

dmax lover
07-18-2005, 16:05
Originally posted by madmatt:
A combination of moisture and brake dust makes for a lot of bad sounding noises from your binders. hit'em all w/ some brake cleaner, blow them out good w/ air then go put a few miles on it slowing from 30mph to a stop several times allowing time to cool between each stop. Do you have factory chrome steps installed?

Mine don't fit well and would rub against the frame mount and groan and moan - happened when braking and taking left turns. They loosened everything and re-tightened it - but I notice it again (not as bad though...)

- jeff

madmatt
07-18-2005, 16:14
Who, me? Nah, I'dont like'em. they get my pants dirty ;)

jlwest63
07-19-2005, 08:31
Originally posted by dmax lover:
Do you have factory chrome steps installed?

Mine don't fit well and would rub against the frame mount and groan and moan - happened when braking and taking left turns. They loosened everything and re-tightened it - but I notice it again (not as bad though...)

- jeff [/QB]Interesting. I installed mine and it seems to happen when going left also. I will take a look at that. Thanks for the tip.

byronlj
07-19-2005, 18:22
My truck sat on the dealer's lot for 10 or 11 months before I bought it. I think the detail boys used it to joy ride in the mud. It was a total mess even after being prepped after the sale. I kept getting brake noise similar to what you describe and found it to be bits of dirt and sand in the brakes. I finally put it on a lift and pressure washed the heck out of it. The noises went away.
Dave