PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic timing in the Cinti area?

cruzer
11-16-2004, 13:16
Anybody have a timing meter in or around the Tri-states? Thanks in advance, Ken

Dvldog 8793
11-16-2004, 15:56
What are you doing? I can tell you how I did it when I put in my new engine.

cruzer
11-17-2004, 06:32
I am trying to get it timed better than just static timing(lining up marks). I am having some cold blooded issues after high idle kicks off, plus Im wanting to maybe advance a little more than stk. Ive been playing w/the timing a little and really would like to know where it should be for a reference mark. This would help me diagnose my problem if any on the cold blooded issue too.

If I line up the marks, the timing seems to be retarded, sluggish and harder starting. B4 I go further, the glow plug sys is working properly along w/a resistor for extended glow time & 60G's.
The timing is currently advanced approx 2mm from marks. These symptoms really happen whether advanced or not. It Starts fine slight smoke and shake for a few seconds and high idle is fine, once high idle kicks off it idles fine. If I were to drive it, it would be sending smoke signals and chugging down the road, unless you lean on the Accl pedal fairly hard, to like blow it out, if it were a gasser. Its not firing on all cyldrs when fuel is added, blue smoke smelling like raw fuel. It chuggs more if timing is more retarded. At idle it's ok. Once it gets closer to operating temp all this clears up and runs awsome. I can tell currently my timing needs to be retarded slightly because on accelerration it is flatting out at high rpm.
Sorry for the ramble.

cruzer
11-17-2004, 06:52
It's like the high idle and cold advance needs to stay on longer. When cold and on high idle it does not have these symptoms until high idle drops off. FYI when the rebuilt 4911 pump was new and not installed yet I did turn it up a 1/8 turn.

Thanks, Ken

Mainous
11-17-2004, 16:38
cruzer,

Where are you at in Cincy? I have a guy that lives in Franklin, OH that works at the AMG plant that I use for timing. He has the Tech II and I'm sure that he would have what is necessary for the mechanically injected trucks. Let me know if you want to travel that far and give me an email address and I will get you a phone number.

Dvldog 8793
11-17-2004, 17:49
Howdy
My truck has identical, I mean EXACTLY, the same symptoms. It did the cold blooded-chug before and after a new long block. I've got it down to between 1600 and 1900 rpm. If I push above that it seems to level out. But once I drop back down it has the same problems until it gets to operating temp. Let me know if you ever figure this out.

cruzer
11-18-2004, 09:56
Mainous, Franklin is about a 1/2hr up 75 from me. I would be intrested in seeing if your buddy has a meter. ken@jpknightdiamonds.com Thanks

Dvldog, I wonder if it has something to do w/the high pops. Mine are Kennedy's. I never had this problem b4 the rebuild & mods. It used to fire right away and go. Mine chuggs right off idle. Of course I have a ton more power now.

Last yr b4 I extended the glow time, even w/the engine warm/operating temp it would do the same thing. I could go into a quick mart and come back out and chug away until I steppped on it. I think I advanced the timing a little and got rid of that symptom, that's why Id like to know where it should be set for a ref point.

Last weekend I plugged it in. It was warm enuff that the high idle didn,t kick in. That sucked.
It was a ruffer start. Does anybody know if there is a way to prolong high idle and cold advance?