PDA

View Full Version : Starts better cold than warm?

AndyL
01-02-2004, 14:18
When really cold, say 10 degrees my truck starts faster (1 or 2 seconds of cranking, no engine heater) than when it is warm (takes maybe 3 or 4 seconds of cranking). Is there any common problem that causes this?

This is on my 99 with 60K miles. Can't be air leaking into the system because it starts cold right? I have cleaned all of the ground connection on the back intake bolt. I have a new FSD (same before FSD change) and the truck runs strong. It always starts and have no problems running. I have had my timing checked and I am at -1.06.

It isn't a big deal but I just get the feeling it should start faster. My 86 6.2 when warm would start instantly when warm.

Thanks, Andy.

Kidd
01-03-2004, 10:04
My 98 does the same thing, noticed the glows don't stay on as long when warm, or not at all.
Think this is what makes the difference.

K.D,

AndyL
01-13-2004, 03:01
Since mine does this starting directly after shutting it down it must be IP timming and not GPs. My 6.2 would start instantly even after sitting for 30 minutes when warm.

Which temp sensor (there are two correct?) are used by the ECM to determine IP advance?