PDA

View Full Version : Is this abnormal?

silverback
11-25-2003, 20:47
Note: I originally posted this on the engine forum and had no response. I'm beginning to think it's really a brake issue.

Hi all, At almost 190 miles old I've been eperiencing a high frequency (buzzing) vibration coming through the brake pedal when I'm stopped in traffic. I can see this in the mirrors a little too. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Will it go away after break in? Do I need to meet my service advisor? Or is this a diesel thing? Have to admit it doesn't bother me that much (kind of a tingling foot massage). Then again I just gave Chevy a whole bucket of cash and I want a machine that is solid. Also, I'm new to the diesel way of motoring and don't know what's normal (yet)
Thanks,
Ken

[ 11-26-2003, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: silverback ]

Barc
11-28-2003, 12:39
My guess is that it is just the vibration of the mighty DMax - I know that if I have a bottle of water in the cupholders (which I hate) there is a constant rippling effect while you are stopped at a light. If it gets any worse, have your service department check it out but for now I would say "Go out and drive it, ENJOY!!!!!" :D :D

letsgo
11-28-2003, 14:20
ABS brakes can do what your discribing or they can pound your foot, but these two effects are if a wheel is locking up, to disprove an ABS fault drive fast in a gravel parking lot and apply your brakes untill you get your vibration, then check the ground to see if any wheels locked up.

been there done that.

good luck.

SoMnDMAX
11-28-2003, 21:54
A defective Hydro Boost (brake booster) unit could cause a similar vibration.

The vibration is there only when the brake is pushed, correct? What happens if you try to push the brake pedal to the floor? Does the vibration frequency change?

silverback
11-29-2003, 14:54
SoMnDMAX,
The vibration seems like it's there all the time. I notice it the most when I brake. Like Barc described, if I have items (some 5/16 hex bolts) in in the tray they will rattle. Also it doesn't seem to change per how far I push in the brake pedal. The truck seems happy (I'm happy driving it). Getting a lot more miles from the 2nd tank. I'm going to go for a test drive with a Chevy tech during lunch next week to show them. Thanks for the replies,
KL

sonofagun
11-29-2003, 16:24
Silverback,

SoMnDmax may have it right. Neither of my trucks has done what you describe. It's good that you are going out with your tech to show him. Keep us posted and good luck.

Bob

silverback
12-13-2003, 15:15
Sorry it took so long to follow-up. Here's chapter 2. I took a ride with a service consultant at my dealership and he immediately noticed the vibration. Kind of scratched his head and said lets go see if any other ones do it. We found another customer's 2500 HD behind their shop (think it was an 01) that was in for service and fired it up. He felt pretty much the same thing on that one just sitting at idle in the lot. The consultant, thinking out loud, started talking about Chevy improving motor mounts. He said if it gets worse or I just wanted it looked at I could bring it in, but he thought I should get more miles on it first. Since then I went back to the dealer and chatted with my sales guy about it and started up two new ones on the lot just to see if they did it. More or less felt the same thing (didn't drive them though). The sales guy said he'd work with me if I was still experiencing the problem and was unhappy about it. I'm at just under a 1000 miles today and (the vibration is no different) I'm beginning to accept that it may be more normal then abnormal. My plan is to have the brakes and motor mounts looked at on my first (free) service. Other then toe tingling I love the truck. More in a bit.
KL

Johnny Diesel
12-16-2003, 07:17
These trucks have pretty nice interiors and almost make you forget how heavy duty the frame and driveline are. But they are sitting on a heavy frame and the engine is still an advanced oil burner(basically). Some noise and rattles are acceptable,as nice as the interior is to look at. I know for sure extended cabs have the worst potential because of the lack of a centerpost and the way the doors latch and such. Regular and crew cabs have less rattles generally. I just love the sportiness and utility of a ex cab. Plus for snow plowing I wouldn't want a crew. Besides the no plow prep pkg and warranty issue its just too long for what I do. I hate to say this but "you wanted a heavy duty truck and you got it-rattles,noises and all". :D