PDA

View Full Version : Firewall Insulation peeling away

Craig B
07-06-2005, 11:30
Just back from Holidays, pulling 10,000 lb holiday fifth wheel trailer and noticed the insulation on my firewall has started to peel away. Just noticed it at last fill up. I am wondering if I have a blow gasket on my turbo or waste gate or ?????
The insulation doesn't appear to be burnt but there is a 4" round hole. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts?

Craig

More Power
07-07-2005, 11:30
Powerwashing or major service work are the usual causes of most firewall insulation damage.

MP

DIESEL/VETTE
07-07-2005, 11:38
Two times that has happened to my firewall insulation, and both times it has been rats or mice, looking further, i found all the insulation stuffed under the intake and above the engine valley, from the front to the rear of the engine. i had a hell of a job removeing it from where they stored it, like they were building a nest. $90.00 for a new one, but easy to install.

Craig B
07-07-2005, 17:31
No it seems to be something more operational. No one has been in the motor compartment but me to clean or even check the oil since the damage started. Mice are a possibility but I think it may be something from the engine blowing against it to cause the damage. At a loss. Truck is stock 2003, 3500. Thanks for the advice so far.

LittleBigRig
07-19-2005, 04:21
I had the same problem. Mine was caused by parking next to an Outback Steakhouse garbage dumpster on a cold night in Boiling Green, Kentucky at a local motel.

When I came out the next morning, a local wolf rat came strolling out from under my truck. When I lifted the hood to check, I noticed a 3" hole knawed in the firewall insulation just above the fuel pump but slightly toward the center of the truck. Also, he (they) removed the battery terminal cap. Local dealership says it is a common problem. If you live in Montana, I wouldn't rule it out. Down south, squarrels will do the same thing. They love that firewall insulation!

Btw, my 2001 firewall pad had these togglebolt looking yellow fasteners (your may have something different. If you do have them, don't try to pull them off because you will break them, but twist them to the left and they will unthread like a nut.

Of course it is somewhat a moot point because the replacement pad uses a different type of fastener.

Craig B
07-23-2005, 05:19
Thanks all. The folks we were visiting must have had an extra little guest who came to visit my truck. Quick repair little harm done. The best news is I don't have a bigger turbo or something else problem.

Craig