PDA

View Full Version : Rear Diff Fill Plug Gasket

Ram
08-03-2002, 14:49
Hey,

I serviced my rear diff and now its leaking a bit from the fill plug. Is there some sort of gasket that's supposed to be on there that I lost? I don't remember seeing one.

Thanks,

Ryan

JustWondering
08-03-2002, 15:22
Hey Ram,
Just went to the garage and took the plug off of mine to check...nope, there's no gasket between the plug and the cover. (My differential cover is shelved, I replaced it with a MAG-HYTEC cover) You may just have to torque your plug a little more? oops almost forgots...welcome to the baord!

DetroitBob
08-03-2002, 15:33
Ram first, welcome the TDP , you will find a wealth of information and persons willing to assist with problems and lots of information.
I had the same problem after having my differential serviced at a dealer in Portland, OR. I had it checked here in Anchoeage at the GM dealer. I watched as the technician drained a small amount of fluid. Now it seems to be okay. Before it would leak sitting in the garage.
Good luck and enjoy your new truck.

BoB

odoh
08-03-2002, 17:53
On my G80, there is a nylon/plastic washer used as a gasket/seal. ~ odoh

Ram
08-03-2002, 18:57
Thanks for the assistance. I pulled my fill plug. A little extra came out, not much. Torqued the plug back and cleaned everything up. If it still leaks, I'm going to put a teflon washer on it. My truck goes to the dealer on Tuesday for some kind of leak behind the left rear tire. I don't want to bring it in leaking differential fluid, or do I?

Also, thanks for the welcome. This site has been the most informative of any I've been on for any product. It has been a huge help.

Jimamatic
08-03-2002, 23:27
I too have a nylon/plastic washer type a deal on my G80. No leaky.....

Jim
--------------
2001 Chevy 4wd cc sb d/a