PDA

View Full Version : Heads are already back on.

Randee of the Redwoods
01-02-2004, 11:38
I went up to Jim Mckay Chevrolet today to drop off some oil and antifreeze and got a good look at the truck. Met Woody, too. Talked to him for about 4 minutes as he was jumping ship for lunch. Turns out the motor was in worse shape than I thought and the broken glow plug I found in #8 was not the one that caused problems. Woodsy said he saw evidence of a previous broken plug in #4(I think, it could have been #2, can't remember) with the head marks from where the piston beat the hell out of it. A few cylinder walls had cracks and #7 cylinder was the one with the pits in the walls. He was able to all but remove the pits with hand sanding. No cracks to be found on the heads, at least not visible to eyes. Cracks he found are normal and expected. Gaskets he took off did not look original. Heads showed little warpage(as up against an automotive straight edge), but not enough to warrent replacement he says. The original lower pulley was so loose the inner hub was banging against the cage. New one is already on. Intake is next. Cool. I'll finally get those valve cover gaskets replaced like I was thinking about doing.
I'm still going to run the synthetic oil nad Purolater Pure One filters. It's either those or the Delco, but the Advance up here does not stock the Delco one I use.
So far(and I mean SO FAR) Woody says the motor looks ok as opposed to the abuse that has surfaced. Maybe I caught it in time? If I get another 184k miles out of this $3000 repair, I'll STILL have gotton my money's worth out of this truck.
Overflow jug, passenger's side brake hose being replaced as well. Then, off to the body shop for the driver's door hinge.
I'm hoping for the best next week when everything is buttoned back up. Cross your fingers(no bubbles, full pressure in cooling system, no oil/water leaks through cracks, AND it starts). Knock on some wood for me.
I snapped a couple of quick pictures even though the heads are already on. I'll get them up for show and tell.

CleviteKid
01-03-2004, 18:20
Hey Randee, thanx for the update. Here's hoping your good luck holds for the rest of the new year, and beyond, as long as you own a diesel.

Dr. Lee :cool: