PDA

View Full Version : Time for new shocks. Which ones?

Jimamatic
08-02-2002, 17:21
I've been reading how bad the OEM shocks are on
Chevy vehicles and I agree 100%. JUNK!!! I Was
calling around today pricing different brands.
From what I've read on the forum, I think Bilsteins (is that how you say it) are the ones
for me. 60 bucks a piece! WOW! Is it worth it?
Heard these are great shocks and are not as
stiff as Rancho. Appreciate any info...

Jim

mackin
08-02-2002, 17:31
J "MY" O

Rancho's,got them LIKE them ......... Had BILSTEINS on a BLAZER ,stiff........The 9000'S are discontinued ........ Got to order 9000X,nine position adjustment as to five.......Should be TEN ,hence the X in Roman numerical... Lets GORANCHO.com,get politically correct........LOL

MAC smile.gif

[ 08-02-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

moisheh
08-02-2002, 18:53
I too am ready for new shocks. There has been a lot of negative posts about Ranchos on the IRV forum. Apparently they just stop working. Rancho replaces them n/c but it sounds like they have a qc problem. Anyone on this forum had problems?

SoCalDMAX
08-03-2002, 01:09
I haven't heard about any problems with the Ranchos, I have them and really like the ride. If you want adjustable shocks, the RS9000s are only about $65 ea, avail. at a number of 4 wheel shops.

If you're not interested in adjustability and want Bilsteins, they're avail from eshocks.com for $50 ea.

Regards, Steve

Jimamatic
08-03-2002, 09:55
Thanks for the replies. Does the adjustability
come in handy for certain conditions, (Like towing) or is it just a neat feature to have for
different driving styles?

Jim.

mackin
08-03-2002, 10:09
Jimamatic,
JIM,
If you want the firm for driving style turn the dial up.....if your adding one of those TREE KNOCK DOWN ranch hand bumpers or a plow, turn up the dial...... Ditto on the back empty Turn the dial down......Drop on some tongue weight on up the dial goes.......You get the picture handy as it can be or upgrade and get the in the cabin remote... The RS9000 are discontinued so if you want them order soon... The new RS9000 X has 9 adjustments......Man that is gonna take some dedicated time and some notes... I run setting 4 front and 2 outback (DUALLY) empty works good with the non-X model.......

MAC

[ 08-03-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

GrayMax
08-03-2002, 10:17
I recently installed a set of Rancho 9000's. I set them on the highest setting of "5" while towing - great improvement of the cheap OEM shocks. Riding empty I set them on 4 in the front and 3 in the back - works great for me.

JimWilson
08-05-2002, 07:53
The Rancho 9000's are a great shock, when they work. I've had them on my last three trucks, and the ride/handling improvements were noticeable. With the adjusters you can set them up however you'd like. Nice idea, but lousy execution. The adjusters are always freezing up, so you'll be able to use 1, 2 and 3 but not 4 or 5. I've had to swap them out for (free) replacements on all three of the trucks. I'd guess by this time Rancho has given me more free shocks then I've actually bought from them! smile.gif

RVGuy
08-05-2002, 09:25
If anyone is interested, I have four OEM shocks with less than 1,000 miles that I'll let someone have for just shipping charges.

Let me know before Friday as Friday is trash day.

mackin
08-05-2002, 16:13
RVGuy ,

I pawned mine off to my Brother in law who has an older F150 4x4....He was like thanks man,seen him today asked did you put the shocks on?Said, "Nah to wimpy ,.....Want them back"? HE HEEE :rolleyes:

MAC

NutNbutGMC
08-05-2002, 16:16
^.....So, is there a good recommended RELIABLE shock, or not?

Kennedy
08-05-2002, 16:45
BILSTEIN!

I have a new pr of OE shocks waiting at the dealer to replace my blown rears. Figured Id get them covered so I had something to put on if ever there was a need...

Ive had similar results as those mentioned above with the Ranchos and will not likely try them again.

FYI, Rancho = Monroe (Teneco?)

[ 08-05-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

rwpierce
08-05-2002, 19:02
Edelbrock IAS schocks, guarnateed satisfaction or money back for 30 days,guarnateed life of your truck, smooth ride but firms up instantly when it senses fast movement of shock. I believe they are like the Bilsteans

MaxACL
08-06-2002, 14:43
RVGuy

I'd be interested in the OEMs. But I have some good news, and some not so good... I live in Mesquite and would just run over and get 'em; however, Your Uncle (Sam) has me lashed to the bulkhead till the end of this month at which time I (should) will be coming home. (ahhh Texas in August...) If no one else shows interest by trash day, and if you still have them when I return, I'd be glad to come get them.

Mike :D :D :D

sonofagun
08-06-2002, 15:40
Jim,

Bilsteins get my vote. Most high end after market shocks earn a loyal following. Bilsteins seem to have the fewest complaints. I've used them for many years and never had a problem.

Good luck,
Bob

Jimamatic
08-06-2002, 21:30
Thanks for the replies. I'm going with Bilstein.
I have the fronts. The rears are on order from the
warehouse in California. Can't wait to get those
OEM pogo sticks off my truck. Thanks for all the
advice out there. I'm really partial to gas shocks
and that's the main reason I went with Bilstein.
Hope they work out.

Jim

RVGuy
08-06-2002, 22:17
MaxACL,

Tell you what, I'll hang on to them for awhile longer. Space rental won't be cheap. May cost you a brew or two but I'll not contribute them to the garbage jaws. You can email me at jim@walkersdomain.com to let me know when you'll be able to come by.

Jimamatic
08-08-2002, 08:48
I put my new bilsteins on yesterday and WOW what a
differnce. It's hard to describe, but it does have
a much better ride now. My rear OEMs were shot with only 7300 miles. one of them would not
even spring back. It's all starting to add up.
Cut a little here, cut a little there x number of
units = big profits. I'm disappointed with GM.
Cheap shocks are bad enough, but they should
at least work for the intended purpose without
fail. Thanks Bilstein. You put a smile on my
face.... Worth the price.

Jim

jeffbentleyreich
08-08-2002, 10:45
"The adjusters are always freezing up, so you'll be able to use 1, 2 and 3 but not 4 or 5. I've had to swap them out for (free) replacements on all three of the trucks"

JimWilson,
Do they ever seem to just work themselves loose in time or once the adjuster freezes are they history? I've only had mine on for about a month and I'm not seeing any major difference. I took off the in-cab air adjusters and reinstalled the manuals but I guess I need to take each shock off the truck and test it?? ...one adjuster seemed hard to turn initially but then I seemed to work it loose.

JimWilson
08-08-2002, 11:49
Jeff R.

No, once they freeze up they stay that way. And it's always been the higher numbers, I've never had a shock that couldn't get to 1, 2 or 3 -- just 4 and 5. I attempted to minimize the problem by rotating the dial through all the settings every time I changed the oil, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

I understand that the 9000 has been discontinued, and in it's place is the 9000x. That one has a mind-boggling 9 settings! I think that's insane. The 5 on the 9000 were more then enough, having 9 sounds like overkill. Hopefully, they've worked out the bugs in there selection dial because overall I do like Rancho's shocks.

DieselsRule
08-08-2002, 13:02
YGB Mono Gas shocks will be out in October. I'll wait till then. Comparitive to Bilstein but usually cost a little less. Friend put them on his Expedition and it made a significant difference in the way the truck handled.

JEBar
08-09-2002, 03:57
Anyone know who makes the shocks which come on a 3500? I was in a parts house last week looking into shocks and was told that mine were most likely made by Bilstein. If that is true, I would be reluctant to purchase a replacement set. :confused:

Kennedy
08-09-2002, 07:09
I would guess that Monroe or Gabriel built them. Not sure, but they may both be the same company.

Bilstein is a mono tube gas shock, and have an EXCELLENT reputation for quality. They WERE the OEM shock on the pre 98 Z71 off road pkg trucks. Monroe got the contract in 99, and from what I hear, they really SUCKED until they got ahold of the Bilstein offerings and copied them...

Jim, you will NOT go wrong with Bilstein.

JEBar
08-09-2002, 16:41
Thanks JK ... really feel better hearing that. :cool:

Buck
08-11-2002, 19:50
I'm considering the Pro Comp MX6 adjustable shocks. Does anyone have these? How are they?

Cancerman
08-12-2002, 06:18
Ordered a set a Bilsteins online from one of their distributors and got a reply back that they are back ordered and I won't get them till October 9th!
Guess they must be pretty popular are they are slow in making them!

gardnerteam
08-12-2002, 07:54
The type shock you need depends on your use and what you expect out of them. I am probably tougher on shocks than almost anyone except a die hard off road racer with a heavy vehicle. I run my 4X4 CC's, the latest a D/A, through the potholed roads of Southern Mexico and Guatemala and 4WD offroad in the jungle at excessive speeds for 15,000 to 25,000 miles a year. Prior stock shocks lasted 2500 miles, D/A stock shocks lasted about 8,000 miles, Edelbrock IAS (3 sets warranteed) lasted 7,000 miles, Rancho 9000 lasted 10,000 miles. The Bilsteins never failed in 40,000 miles of my use, and were still on the truck last I checked with the new owner with 75,000 miles on them and going strong. Edelbrock IAS is a great riding shock for a light SUV or a pickup that is used on good highways in normal use, but it will not hold up to severe use - feel one sometime - they get so hot you cannot touch them, and breakdown. The Rancho 9000 adjustable is also a great shock for most 4X4 vehicles - you can adjust the ride to your use, change it if you want, and adjust from front to rear. Great shock for most people who do mostly highway and some offroad and do their own adjustment. The Bilstein is a great shock for both street and off road, and just happens to be tougher than nails. Bilstein told me (I was really frustrated after 3 sets of Edelbrock and 2 sets of Ranchos failing me) their shock would last, and backed it with a buyback plus reimbursing me labor for both install and take off. Shocks are still on that truck after 80,000 miles and still good. My use is severe. Yours may not be. Buy a shock that fits your use.

Raptorrider2001
08-12-2002, 10:23
Garndnerteam: Thankf for your post on the shocks. This is off the subject but it brought up another question since you run around Mexico. Do you ever encounter poor fuel? We want to go to southern Mexico but am concerned about the quality of fuel and availibility of it. Thanks

JimWilson
08-12-2002, 10:25
If you had a gas engine I'd say you have something to worry about, but with diesel you should be in a much better position.

Dinkie Diesel
08-12-2002, 18:57
Hey Dieselsrule!
Is it safe to assume you meant "KYB" and not YGB? If so, Your info is different than what I was told by KYB. They said they would have their Gas-A-Just ready by fall of this year but the Monomax wouldn't be available till next year. I am gonna wait it out and buy the Monomax. Quality is first rate!