PDA

View Full Version : metal shavings in front diff

Silver Bullet
01-02-2003, 09:01
I changed my front diff fluid yesterday. I found a few metal shavings, but I am not sure if it is enough to be worried about. I will change it again in a month or so as I want to be sure it is OK before my warranty runs out in 4500 miles. I am only worried because my vent broke when I was in Colorado in September and I drove somewhere between 100 and 1000 miles before I found it...so I don't know how much leaked out, but I know there was quite a bit blown underneath the truck.

For the front I used Valvoline 80w-90 syn and I purchase Mobil-1 75W-90 syn for the rear.

Is it normal to have a few metal shavings? There was enough to cover the tip of the magnet on the drain plug.

Thanks.

Vivayo
01-02-2003, 10:55
Silver Bullet:
I was looking at an article over on the gm-trucks website yesterday and they have a how-to for changing the fulid in the front diff. It has a picture of the magnet showing some shavings and say it is normal. You might take a look at the picture and see if it looks something like what you had.
Charlie

Silver Bullet
01-02-2003, 11:24
Thanks Vivayo!

I found it (gm-trucks.com)...my "shavings" looked about the same as the pic, so I don't think I have anything to worry about.

There is some good info there under the "Guide" section.

JimWilson
01-02-2003, 16:00
I changed my front diff at about 3K and there was enough crap on the magnet that it looked like it was wearing a sombrero! Sifting through it revealed some shavings, but nothing I would consider more then manufacturing junk. The rear, with the G80 locker, was even worse.

chuntag95
01-02-2003, 16:40
Silver Bullet,
Both my front and rear had the shavings too. I don't think anyone who has done it didn't have something. My front had a strange color to it as well. Someone was smarter than me and took a picture of it. Mine looked the same, like there was gold in it. The thought was it is lapping compound.