PDA

View Full Version : Lowering 3500 Rear

Geo39
11-21-2003, 16:01
Due to a switch in towing plans from a 5th wheel to an Airstream travel trailer I no longer need the capacity of the 3500. As such, I would like to lower the rear to make the truck ride level - and to also soften the rear suspension. My first thought is to remove the second tier set of springs, then go with extended spring shackles. I've also been told to consider removing the lower leaf on the primary set of springs. As the vehicle presently stands, it appears that it would require lowering the rear approximately 3.5 inches to bring it level - or slightly nose down unloaded. The installation of air bags, after achieving the correct ride height, would appear to provide assurance that the vehicle could be re-leveled at will in the event subsequent bed loads caused a nose up attitude. The use of an equalizer hitch prevents the tongue load of the trailer from causing excessive changes in the pitch of the truck. The normal request I've observed on the forums generally addresses "increasing" the carrying capacity "versus" reducing it - so I realize that I'm in strange territory! I love everything else about the truck - and especially the stability - but the Airstream would be better served with a softer suspension and I would love to see the truck sit level. I'm open to all suggestions and comments.

Cracker

Merconvert
11-21-2003, 20:47
Geo 39

Hi
I have a 01 3500 CC longbed. I used 2" longer Shackles,to give me more clearance at the bed Rail. This set the overload on the frame pads. Yep Rough ride!!!!. I took the Frame Pads off. Raised them ,so the O L spring didnot touch, about 1 1/4 " Redrilled the holes. It's a easy job, even for a 71 yr. old, Ha Ha. Hope this Helps.
Bob

BigRedDMaxx
11-22-2003, 19:33
Geo39,
I just got a catalog from stylinconcepts and they have dually lowering kits. Their number is 800-4stylin and web address is same as their name. I haven't bought anything from them before but they have a cool looking functional ram air replacement hood.