PDA

View Full Version : Leaking front diff

cmtndmax
03-17-2003, 20:05
Had truck at dealer for leak repairs today. Rear diff cover was seeping not bad but unsightly. Good service at my dealer. Gasket replaced & new grape juice. Front diff leak was on drivers side. The mechanic had seen this before. The black plastic cover with what looks like a vaccum hose coming out of it was loose. He tighten it slightly with socket stating that the plastic threads wouldn't take very much torque.

dmaxalliTech
03-17-2003, 20:45
cmt, we have seen those vent covers leak many of times, the best thing i have found to fix them is to replace with updated vent, its white instead of black. and apply a thin bead of sealer on threads, not to seal but to keep it from coming loose again.

jbplock
03-18-2003, 11:51
dmaxAlliTech,

What type of sealer do you recommend ? white teflon thread sealant? I just picked up one of the white covers and plan to intall it this weekend.

smile.gif

dmaxalliTech
03-18-2003, 20:08
jp, I use a slicone that is labeled as 'assembly adhesive' I dont know the part no. but it is a gm product, Idont use it for one reason or another other then the fact that I have lots of it laying around, its the same stuff your d-max is sealed up with and I use it on all my other engine work as well. I think anything would work, use it in moderation, again, its just there to keep it from coming loose. It's nothing gm has said to do, just something that I have tried and it seems to work.

cmtndmax
03-18-2003, 21:26
Thanks dmaxallitech for the helpful hint sounds like a good fix to me. I saved the thread that listed the part no. for the white vent cover.

jbplock
03-19-2003, 06:21
DmaxAllitech,

Dittos to cmtndmax's comments and thanks for sharing your expert insight. It's reassuring to know there are conscientious GM techs like yourself who are striving for customer satisfaction. Even though we hear about a few bad experiences here on the forum, I'm sure good Techs like yourself are in the majority. Keep up the good work and thanks for your participation in the forum!

dmaxalliTech
03-19-2003, 20:09
jbplock, Thank you for the kind remarks. I am glad I can help everyone out.