PDA

View Full Version : Ordering options for mirrors

Crew Chief
12-31-2002, 19:31
Hello all, this is my first time posting and I just wanted to say how great this sight is. After reading this forum for the past three years, my decision to purchase a Duramax/Allison combo was an easy one. I am getting ready to order my truck and choose my options, I am torn between the factory camper style power mirrors and a set of aftermarket mirrors (probably Lucerix). Any inputs would be greatly appreciated. Also, if I choose to go with the after market mirrors will the wiring harness for the standard LS package mirrors support the heating function? I know Lucerix does not make a powered mirror for the 2003 yet due to the connector change, but are the wiring harnesses standard? Thanks, and I hope your holidays were great.
Steve

bryantch
12-31-2002, 21:14
I purchased the powervision aftermarkets for my 01 and they are awesome mirrors. I just picked up my 03 that i ordered with the factory power extending tow mirrors (same as powervision) and they are just as nice. wouldnt order it any other way...hope this helps

[ 12-31-2002: Message edited by: bryantch ]</p>

Trippin
12-31-2002, 23:51
Crew Chief,
I've had my 03 for about a month now and I'm still having trouble getting used to the power extending mirrors. Something is just not right. It could be me, but it seems like the visibility on the passenger side of the truck is reduced as compared to my 1999 Chevy 4x4 extended cab. I know the 99 has the "objects in the mirror are closer than they appear" warning on the passenger side and the 03 does not. It just seems like the 99 had a wider field of vision. Like I said it could just be me but I encourage you to drive a truck with both types and decide for yourself. The heater, turn signal indicator and adjustability of these mirrors is great.

Crew Chief
01-01-2003, 01:36
I wish I could drive both to try them before I order, the problem is I can't! I am currently based in England and I do not have that luxury. Does anyone have Lucerix or any other aftermarket mirrors installed? If so what has your experience been with the wiring harness (refer to my first post). Once again thanks for your input.

FisHn2DMax
01-01-2003, 01:40
Crew Cheif,

GO with the factory tow mirrors!!!!

I have an 03 with the power tow mirrors and I love them! However, I agree with Trippin the passenger side mirror needs some help! After all most running a few small cars off the road in the first few days of owning the truck, I started to really miss the trailer mirrors on my previous Ford super duty.

The OEM trailer passenger mirror is not magnified and is a straight field of view type so you can see down the sides of a towed trailer. The problem is, this type of mirror can have a blind spot for small cars or bikes traveling close to the side of the truck.

I solved the problem for just $2.95, by adding a small 2" spot mirror on the outside of the Mirror. Any larger spot mirror would cover up the LED turn signal indicators integrated into the mirror. BTW, the LED turn signals are great for clearing those little cars out of your way when towing!. Once they see these bright babies come on, and they see you're planning to come over, they're gone! Now that I've fixed the problem, and gotten use to them, I like them as much or more than the Ford Super duty trailer mirrors.

To try an answer your wiring question, the 03 door wiring is different than the 01,02 years!
GM went with a new "Matrixed" wiring methodology in 03 to reduce the amount of wiring going to and from the doors of most GM vehicles. If you decide on after market mirrors, MAKE SURE the mirror wiring is specific to the 03 and not the 01 or 02!

I highly recommend you go with the OEM trailer mirror offering! If you tried to order these after market from Power Vision, it will cost more and you won't get the integrated LED turn signal in the mirrors. Suprisingly the OEM trailer mirrors don't have any noticable wind noise even when fully extended.

Oh (I just remembered), surfing mirror Web sites of Power Vision or (??? one of the after market mirrors) is was now offering a rectangular spot mirror that attaches to the outside of the HD OEM tow mirror. Sorry, I just can't remember whom it was,( too much celebration sauce tonight) but this would be the ultimate way to go!

Good Luck and Happy New Year! smile.gif smile.gif

Trippin
01-01-2003, 18:19
Crew Chief,
If in doubt, go with the power extending mirrors from the factory. I'm hoping maybe someone will market a replacement mirror for the right side that has a wider field of vision.

FisHn2DMax,
I saw in your sig you have the BFG 285s. In looking at the BFG catalog, 295s are only about 1/2" larger in dia. That's 1/4" on the radius. Any chance of fittin those baby's in there by leveling out the torsin bars and the usual front air dam trimmin?

[ 01-01-2003: Message edited by: Trippin ]</p>

Stage 1
01-01-2003, 18:21
Also have the 03' power camper mirrors and like them a lot for towing. Tow 32' tag, I just move the truck slightly to see past the trailer on pass side. I would go w/them again :D

The turn down feature is also nice for backing dually into tight parking spaces.

Gasman1075
01-01-2003, 18:47
Camping World sells a add-on mirror that clamps to the top or bottom of the power mirror that really works great. I put one on the right side and will be getting one for the left.

Walt smile.gif

[ 01-01-2003: Message edited by: Gasman1075 ]</p>

Seattle Steve
01-01-2003, 20:40
I agree with all comments above on the factory extendables: excellent except for a blind spot the size of a Buick on your passenger side. The "turn down" comment refers to a feature that will allow you to preset a position the mirrors will automically go to when you shift into reverse. This is only available with the "memory seat" feature. These mirrors turn down enough to see the ground which is great for tight space maneuvering.

I ordered an '03 without a chance to really review all the features which sounds like your position as well. A couple of other comments: 1) Visit www.gmc.com, then "shop & buy" and "build your own". It describes all available options in some detail. The site shows pictures, available colors, etc. There is a link to the Chevy site which is similar. Note that options are not identical for both Chevy and GMC. 2) The interior you choose (SLE vs SLT for GMC) will preset many features and they are packaged very well. If you go leather, you will be close to fully optioned. I chose fabric to get the 6 speed manual since it's not available with leather. 3) Dual alternators are available only during special build times. I chose to receive mine earlier and receive the factory single alternator rather than wait for the special build date. Many threads are available on this great website that tells how to upgrade a single or add a double with factory parts. 4) The Driver Information Center (DIC) is a great feature. If you get the "steering wheel radio controls" option, you get extended features on it plus you don't have to toggle options with the odometer trip reset stem. Well worth the $125 IMHO. Also, it controls OnStar if you get it. 4)Regarding OnStar, it communicates via cellphone. If you can't get a signal, you won't be able to get through. I didn't get it for this reason since I already have a cellphone. 5) This website was my most valuable research tool. Thanks to all the wonderful folks here! 6) You can't really go wrong with these vehicles unless you need maximum ground clearance. That is somewhat less than the competition due to the massive frame used. Most on this site have been satisfied for off-road use though. 7) Happy new year! Let me know if I can help in your research.

FisHn2DMax
01-02-2003, 00:02
Trippin,

In response to your question on BFG 295's, you should have NO problem with this size tire. In fact, if I wasn't pulling a 5'er, I would have gone with the 295's. The 285's are about as tall as you'd want to go and still get a 5'er to remain level while towing. You will have to trim the front air dam slightly ( I had to do this on my 285's) and crank up the torsion bars. I've seen 295's on a few 2500 D/A's and they look great! What ever you do, make sure you have your truck re-aligned after cranking up the torsion bars!

Crew Cheif,
The previous post in right on with regard to options. However, the On-Star does have an advantage that you should seriously consider. If your involved in an accident and the air bags deploy it will auto call in your GPS location and send help. I've also used it to unlock my doors when the "kids" lock the keys in the truck. Also, while it does use local cell phone sites, it has a transmitting power 10 times more powerful than the a normal cell phone. Our small cell handsets transmit approx 300 mW and the On-star is 3 watts and uses an external antenna. I've had no cell coverage with my hand cell and was able to use on-star cell service while traveling in remote areas. On-star is free for basic services the first year, and after that approx $35 per 100 minutes of basic use. They have other premium servies that run as high as $300/year. It's like insurance, you may not ever need it, but if you ever do, it will be worth every penny.

Good Luck!
:D

cowboywildbill
01-02-2003, 17:08
I was trying to get aftermarket mirrors for a friends new 03 3500. The mirrors from 01 & 02 will bolt up. But the problem is that the system is totally different on the 03's. The wiring is all different and a jumper can't be used. This is due to the fact that the mirrors are now tied into the computer. The mirrors change position just like the seats do when driver #1 or #2 puts thier keys in the ignition, it remembers the setting for that person. I talked to autosource and they confirmed that they can't get the specs from GM on how to get around this. They stated that the 03 system uses different voltages in the motors for the mirror adjustments. And it is very complicated. It will be some time before they can engineer a new mirror. I would think that if someone can figure out the computer and make a chip for engine performance, that they should be able to do the same for the mirrors. I guess it takes time. They did say that they thought it would be easy to do at first, by making a jumper or changing the wiring and plug to mate up with the 03, but they found out differently. I think that if we knew this before getting the truck we would have ordered the extended optional mirrors. But now we are told by a dealer that they are over $600.00 a piece to order from the parts dept. Please let us know if that is what they cost as an opption from the factory. Thanks.

Crew Chief
01-02-2003, 17:31
The factory option price on the Camper-Style (extendable) mirrors is $206.50, that is based on a Data Date of 17 October 02. The current Data Date as of today will be slightly higher. Man $206.50 compared to $600.00 apiece--makes you wonder doesn't it. I just talk to my Military New Car Sales Rep and the current Data Date is 17 December 02--The base price for the vehicle increased by $1,405.00. That means I will not be ordering the factory towing mirrors. I would lose $1,200.00 of my price protection to get that option--I will be waiting for the aftermarket companies to figure out the new wiring. I guess another option would be to get the aftermarket manual mirrors without heat and power. Oh well, Thanks for all your help I sure do appreciate it.

cowboywildbill
01-02-2003, 21:11
Wow! Hi Crew Chief, Does that mean that the power/heated power extentable type mirrors cost an additional $1400.oo smackers? Or would you loose the guaranteed price by changing the order? I think the extendable camper syle mirrors is what I had on my 02. They weren't power or anything. They just slid in & out.And they weren't that great, but they are better than the stock ones that hug the side and don't extend, that is if you are using them on a dually. I was lucky on my 02, I found a pair of power/heated aftermarket slide outs for $300.00.I purchased a factory switch for my truck,$35.00. I cut out the arm rest where the stock switch goes and put it in. The wires were already there for the switch. It is just like it came from the factory . Then I had to buy the heater control module(this is the one on the center of the dash with rotary temp dial & fan switch and the little a/c push button and & the little push button rear window defogger switch)My module didn't have the little push button rear window defogger swich, and that is what heats the mirrors also.And you can't buy just the little button. It was $100. for the whole unit.Not too bad. It just plugged in.Took 5 minutes. And all the wires were there for everything, including the harness in the door for the power tilt & pan & heat. I just plugged them in. No cutting or splicing, everything had the correct plugs. The mirrors were a show special at the American Quarter Horse Congress in OHIO. I think they are made by lucerex or something like that, they are the ones that are on autosource web site.They don't power extend in and out. But I don't need that because they are on a dually and they stay out all of the time anyway. They do fold both ways, and that is handy for on the street parking.Just thought I would post this in case any one else was thinking of upgrading there 01 or 02. My truck was loaded and was the SLT package, that might be a factor in why all of the wiring was already there. But if you don't have that package it is easy to pop off the inside mirror molding cover or and see if the wire harness is there. And pop the arm rest up and see if it is wired there for the switch also.Hope that helps. Let me know when you get your new truck Crew Chief. Have a safe and Happy New Year.

Trippin
01-02-2003, 23:48
Crew Chief,
I just checked my paper work and the power, heated, camper style mirror, option code DPF on my Chevy LT is MSRP $55.00. I don't understand the $206.00 number.

FisHn2DMax
01-03-2003, 00:29
Trippin,

We should have all ordered our trucks from you dealer! LOL....

I'm looking at an actual GM dealer print out of all 03 options in both dealer cost and MSRP.

Option DFP Camper Style Heated PWR Mirrors-Inc power extending arms, turn signal indicators.

Invoice = $204.68 MSRP = $238.00

Did you get those 295's on yet?
:D

Seattle Steve
01-03-2003, 00:37
My window sticker from December '02 confirms the $238 MSRP on the "camper style rearview mirrors". This is prior to a recent price increase from the General.

FisHn2DMax
01-03-2003, 01:06
Crew Chief,

Don't give up on the 03 camper mirrors! Is your military discount huge? If not, I would look into buying your truck via the NET. I've used Priceline.com and other services that were able to get the local dealers to bid against each other and they came all the way down to a few hundred over actual dealer invoice. I really don't understand why the military buyer/sales rep is seeing such a large variance for a small $204-$238 option add-on. I went on both Priceline.com and GM Buypower tonight to see if the base price of My 03 2500 D/A SLT GMC truck had changed since September/October and it was exactly the same! I also checked the Chev cost and it was very close (within $100) of the GMC. Ironically, the difference he is quoting you is very close to what the difference is in base price between the LS and LT models? Double Check this! What your military sales rep is telling you just doesn't sound right? If your going to spend $35-40K on a truck, you should get exactly the options you want and need!!!
IMO, the camper mirrors ( option #DPF ) you should be able to add for $204 invoice / $238 MSRP unless your order has already been accepted and confirmed for build by GM? If so, then try to swap the order allocation with a another dealer and start over. Prices should have stayed the same over the last few months, not gone up! Hopefully you'll get your truck while the $3000 rebates are still in effect?

Hope this helps and Good Luck :D

Trippin
01-03-2003, 01:19
FisHn2DMax,
I did a little research on Edmunds.com. Mirrors priced under the LS package are $206. Price em under the LT package they are $55. :eek:
The 295's and Eagle Racing 121's are ordered, local tire shop said about 5 days. :D

Crew Chief
01-03-2003, 05:26
Wow, I just woke up and logged on to all these posts. I guess I should expect that since I am five hours ahead of East Coast time. The $206.00 option is for the LS modle--the LT comes standard with the heated/power/power folding mirrors, so there is the $55.00 and $206.00 price difference.
After reading my other post it does look confusing! Yes I am price protected, I have been since April 2002 when I signed up. The thing is, I actually saved more money when the 2003 pricing reached this program I'm in. It all has to do with vehicle Base price at the time and current rebats. The Military/Government program gets a cut rate from the big three for total sales over a set period of time. If total sales drops below a set level, they lose that rate and it reverts to, I guess whatever regular Dealer rates are. If I choose to get the trailering mirrors now I would lose my price protection (I'm currently $900.00 below KBB invoice). I have not found anyone who can match that price yet with the benefits that come with it. This program delivers the vehicle to my next state side base, so the vehicle will be there when I return from overseas--one less headache to worry about. Oh the best part is if I find a cheaper price within 14 days after pick up, they match it! I think I'll stick with what I have. This is a program that only overseas Federal Employees are eligable for. It makes me happy, and works out best overall for my family. Now all we have to do is find a house! Take care and thanks.

cowboywildbill
01-03-2003, 12:05
The additional price of $206 to $300. sounds about right for the power extend/heat/tilt& pan on the mirrors.But I think you have to get at least an LT package or better to get that price because the truck already comes with an optional heated/power tilt & pan mirror that doesn't extend on the LT or LTS or whatever they call it this years in the option package.So it makes sense that it is a couple of hundred dollars more to upgrade to the tow mirrors. I think I ran into the problem that I had to get the LT package in order to get a leather interior. My friend with the 03 CC dually sure wishes he had gotten the towing mirror option, but he bought the truck off the lot and it had the non extendable heat & power mirrors on it. He thought he could just buy the upgrades, untill they told him the price. Does any one know of any aftermarket power extendable mirror that will work on an 03(plug in)without any mods? Thanks.