PDA

View Full Version : Steering Loose

ADub
06-27-2005, 05:26
I have noticed the truck wandering some on roads with significant crowns. I put the front end in the air and there is a good amount of play in the wheel moving it left to right. I watched the steering as I did this and the movement is ocurring where the center link meets the pitman and idler arms. Which parts need replacing?

More Power
06-27-2005, 10:57
The joints with play need to be replaced. The idler arm is a frequent wear item as is the pittman. My 2001 GMC with 47K is still pretty tight, and tracks even better after installing a new set of tires.

MP

ADub
06-27-2005, 12:26
I guess my question was, are the joints on the center link or pitman/idler arms. Pitman/idler it is

ADub
06-28-2005, 04:16
Whats a good way to verify the condition of my tie rods?

J Bruce
06-28-2005, 07:03
I just went through this with my truck. My pitman arm was actually moving on the splines for the sector shaft. Spooky stuff :eek:

You can check the condition of the joints by watching for movement where there shouldn't be movement :D

Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth (just short of moving the tires) while you watch the steering linkage. Watch where the pieces of the steering linkage meet each other. If the two pieces don't move in unison (together as one) then there is most likely excess wear and the joint needs to be replaced.

The pitman arm is what attaches the steering box to the "center link". The idler arm is one the passengers side and it's the other pivot point for that center link.

The joints attaching the center link to the wheels are the other common wear point.

ADub
06-28-2005, 10:21
Is there any trick to pulling the pitman/idler arms? Can a standard puller fit in there, space seems to be tight

dave p
06-29-2005, 15:58
try the steering gear upgrade repacment bearing kit. it helped mine. search steering rattle. dave p