PDA

View Full Version : Researching a new truck

addicted to coffee
12-31-2002, 14:24
I started doing research on a new pickup about a month ago and ran into "The Diesel Page".
WOW! Great site.

I have two Chevy's, one for work and another for play.

Work Truck
1995 Silverado K3500 DRW, Ext. Cab, 6.5TD, auto, most of the factory "bells and whistles". Big O "Dual Groove" 235/85R16E, Leer camper shell. 220+K miles. Runs like a champ, but starting to get a little frayed around the collar and cuffs.

Play Truck
2000 Silverado LS K3500 SRW, Crew Cab, 454, auto, all of the factory "bells and whistles" incl leather. Power sliding rear window, Four inch lift, BFG 33x12.5R16.5D, 60+K miles. Runs great. I bought it from a friend (local Chevy dealer) and now my brother wants it.

So I started thinking about selling the gasser to the kid brother (I've been a diesel driver for a long time, but he's a gasser and will be no matter the logic of TD power) and upgrading the work truck. Sort of combining the functions and lessening the parking requirements around my backyard.

Here is a snapshot of the planned purchase.

2003 (2004?) LT K3500 DRW, Crew Cab, Duramax/Allison w/all of the factory "bells and whistles".
DiabloSport Predator
AFE ram air intake
Banks exhaust brake
Banks 4" stainless steel exhaust
ATS Level 1 (torque converter)
ATS Level 2 (valve body)
Westach A-pillar w/pyrometer, boost, and tranny temp guages
TEA Dominator 8-10 lug wheel adapters
Alcoa 7.50x19.5 wheels, hubcaps, and chrome lug caps
Bridgestone M716 285/70R19.5G M+S (35.4" diameter)
Hill 4 Wheel Drive torsion bar cams (2.5" front lift)
Power sliding rear window
TransferFlow 56 gallon replacement fuel tank
TransferFlow Tool box w/50 gal aux. fuel tank
Snuglid hard tonneau cover
Ranch Hand front end (bumper and grill guard)
Ranch Hand Dually rear bumber

Now I must ask a favor of everyone. Does anyone see a problem (other than the expense;) or conflict between the add-ons?

Thanks for the help.

[ 01-01-2003: Message edited by: addicted to coffee ]</p>

thechevyhdman
01-01-2003, 16:05
If you wouldnt mind me asking...how much are they asking for the truck. It would more than likely be cheaper to buy the stuff that is installed on the truck and do it yourself. I really dont know the value of the things installed on this truck but lets say the truck off the lot is worth 44,000 Id bet that theyll tap on at least another $5,000 or more(more likely more). However in answer to your question I cant see anything that doesnt seem Kosher on that truck except for the Hills RV T bar lift. Im not familiar with how it works, except that it replaces your torsion bar keys to lift the front alot more. It may present a problem with CV joint angles, ie increased wear and tear on the front end because CV joint angles are increased. Maybe someone else could chime in and give you an exact answer. It sounds like a pretty sweet rig....good luck with your decision.

addicted to coffee
01-01-2003, 16:48
According to Kelley Blue Book (online) the invoice price of the truck is $42,600.

The costs w/o instllation of the add-ons is $16,225 (currently... things can change upto the last minute ;)

I can send you a spreadsheet with more information if you would like one.

hdmax(mike)
01-01-2003, 18:18
Looks like you have did your homework ;)

chuntag95
01-01-2003, 21:21
I have only one question, is the tranny temp gauge actually for the rear diff? If it isn't, you might consider that instead of the trany since there is a gauge for it in the cluster.

addicted to coffee
01-03-2003, 22:42
Great idea.

I will have to get a sending unit. Any thoughts?

addicted to coffee
01-05-2003, 12:27
Just decided to add dynamic wheel balancers. Leaning toward the Balance Master SA-195-10 (front)and DT-195-10 (rear).

Would like to hear any advise you may have.

Thx,

addicted to coffee
01-11-2003, 18:23
So, I wonder how the DiabloSport folks are doing?

Maybe I'd better plan on using the Juice.

mackin
01-11-2003, 19:53
Addicted to Coffee

Quote:So, I wonder how the DiabloSport folks are doing?

Check the thread in Duramax6600.....Just enough info to keep you interested, but not the real info that is desired....So it is kinda a turn off,IMO...When I canceled mine, they were willing to give me an estimated arrival, that was Thursday of this week, after the run around I got to get the sale squashed,for all most two weeks,it's done.....I didn't bother to say OK when, since I was canceling my purchase,and didn't care,and at best it would have been a guestimate.....

Quote: Maybe I'd better plan on using the Juice.

You will NOT be disappointed if you chose to go this route....After all the Diablo tune will be similiar in power delivery.....Will it compare to actual power???The Juice delivers as advertised,that's a definite.....

MAC

addicted to coffee
01-11-2003, 23:23
Thanks MAC.

BTW. Nice pics. Great looking rig.

jbplock
01-12-2003, 07:12
addicted to coffee,

Regarding Dynamic Wheel Balancers, I had a set of Balance Masters (BalanceMasters.com) on my 98 K3500 Crew Cab Dually and they worked great. I had a set Michelins on my 98 when I sold it but I kept the Balance Masters. After removing them, the Michelins still rode good but I could tell the difference – “smoother” with the balance masters.

(Since my new truck is SRW I can’t use them so I have been meaning to put the set I have on ebay, but if you’re interested I’ll cut you a good deal. Email me at diesel@sg23.com if interested. )

Billman
01-12-2003, 09:32
Hey Bill

I would be interested in those Balance Masters. Anything special about them, or is it just a bolt-on.

jbplock
01-13-2003, 05:12
Billman,

The Balance Masters are easy to install. Just remove your wheels and slip on. Email me at Diesel@sg23.com for more info.

addicted to coffee
01-26-2003, 16:11
Well, an update.

The play truck is gone. Sold it to my kid brother (he's married with three children, but once a kid brother always a kid brother ;). So there is a big empty space beside my garage... hmmmmm...

Of course there has to be at least one fly in the ointment... I just got a nasty letter from the IRS.

Ah well, maybe I'll order a 2004.