PDA

View Full Version : Allison Leaking

IndigoDually
07-30-2002, 12:46
The trans on my motorhome (8.1/Allison WorkHorse Chassis) has developed a leak. The strange thing is that it has to be sitting for more than 2 weeks before the drip starts. It looks like ti is coming from the top. not from the pan. It might just be the o-ring for the dipstick tube leaking, but it is strange that it takes so long beforethe leak starts.

I last drove it July 7, and it has been dripping for about a week now. Anyont seen this before( I know that most don't stay still that long)?

John

77TransAm
07-30-2002, 13:16
A dipstick tube leak is pretty rare, just because the grommet used to seal the tube is so much bigger than the old o-ring type of seal. Where are you seeing the fluid drip? Right side or left, front or back, pan rail or above, etc? Also, which side is the dipstick tube on in that vehicle?

Black Dog
07-30-2002, 13:36
It is not too unusual to see an automatic tranny that leaks after sitting like that - it is because the fluid drains out of the torque converter and overfills the pan. Then it leaks out the dipstick tube o-ring or a vent or something.

Burner
07-30-2002, 13:51
I agree with the draining. My Trans "****d" some fluid. I thought I'd have a heart attack when I saw the fluid. Turns out that the "vent" is at the top of the trans. I had about a quart to much, from the factory. I lowered the level in the trans to factory spec's and fixed my "leak" problem.

Burner