PDA

View Full Version : Steering Rattle? Help please!

Cliffee
11-16-2003, 19:15
Hi,
I have a 03 2500 4x4 Crew LT that started giving this steering rattle mostly on turns with short bumps. Ive read many similar posts going back to 99 models so I'm begginning to get the feeling this is never going to be resolved. The truck 1st started rattling around 1500mi. Since then Ive had 2 Intermediate shafts replaced, a number of Intermediate regreases and 2 Gearboxes. Every time the problem returns within 500-1500mi. Ive had the truck back at least 8 times in 15000mi and Ive had it! Before I pursue my states lemon law and attempt a forced GM by-back, never buy a GM product as long as I live is their any hope this can be fixed? I love the truck but the rattle is terrible and I can't justify it when Ive spent sooo much money and waited over 2 years to purchase something that drives like it has 300k mi on it. The 3 dealers Ive been to don't know what to do either. One even flat out told me he's aware of the problem and its normal. He said the 04's are starting to show up with rattles also.
Any feedback would help greatly.
Thanks.

[ 11-16-2003, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Cliffee ]

FisHn2DMax
11-16-2003, 20:54
I feel an obvious vibration in the steering wheel going over short/quick bumps...but it doesn't happen every time and I can't hear it, I only feel it? I drove my brothers truck (same as mine) and it does the exact same thing?

What exactly is the "rattle" your experiencing? Is it something you can hear or is it a rattle vibration felt through the steering wheel?

Cliffee
11-16-2003, 21:18
I don't hear it just feel it. It feels like somethings a little loose in the column. Mostly on slight turns with short bumps. Sounds like yours is the same as mine.
One things for sure, when its regreased the problem is definately gone. Unfortunately, it only lasts a little while.

Cliffee
11-18-2003, 21:15
No one else?

WhiteDiesel
11-18-2003, 21:21
I just had mine greased (11-11-03), and it hasn't come back yet. It's only been about 2k miles though.

Johnny Diesel
11-19-2003, 05:58
I am on my 3rd one of these trucks. 2000 GMC 1500 x cab, 2002 2500hd 6.0 x cab and now 2003 GMC 2500Hd Duramax/ally. None of them has made it past 4500 miles without having this(grease) done at least once. I did notice on my 02 that right before I traded it in -8000 miles or so-it was starting to come back. Maybe, just maybe, the service guy isn't putting enough grease on it or theres a grommet at the firewall thats allowing moisture to seep in and prematurely take the properties of the graese away? Especially on plow prep trucks alot of plow installers just push the whole grommet in rather than make a smaller hole. I saw that on both my HD's and had to struggle to push the grommet back in from under the dash. My back and neck aren't what they used to be when I was 25.

JimWilson
11-19-2003, 07:49
Some are more lemons then others I suppose...

I had the "lube job" done once, and the intermediate shaft twice (no steering boxes yet though). And you know what? It's back again, and the truck is only a year and a half old, so it looks like I'm in the same boat as you are.

SPICER
11-19-2003, 08:32
Same exact thing....'03 2500 HD, at 17,000 I finally took it in. They said the intermediate steering shaft needs packing.(Removed intermediate steering shaft and repacked upper steering column joint and lower steering column joint). I know it will come back but atleast the dealership has begun dealing with the problem. There is an article in the July 2002 GM Techlink publication that deals with this issue. They say there is a new bearing kit to deal with this problem. I coppied it and will show it to the service guys when the problem comes back....see this....http://service.gm.com/techlink/html_en/pdf/200207-en.pdf#dst13. SPICER

HD-Nate
11-19-2003, 11:13
Hmmm, I was just going to post a question similar to this problem.

On occasion, especially noticeable in a turn when the steering is under load, I get dull thumping feel on the steering wheel. Just a feel, cant hear it.

Does not jerk, does not make a noise. Best I could describe it is like someone tapping it with a hammer. Normally just once.

Does this sound similar to any of your experiences???

Anyone???

Cliffee
11-19-2003, 11:32
Thanks for the replies. These posts are exactly what's going on with mine. Please keep them coming. I plan on taking this down GM's throat. My wife and her father are both Attorny's and they are behind me on this so I get free legal counsel. I feel as Iam sure most of you do that this is rediculous! All I ever wanted was a fix for it. Not a 1000mi bandaid. I can't believe that this problem has gone on for years and GM hasn't come out with a REAL FIX! What are they thinking?
As far as the bearing kit on gm's website that bearing goes inside the Gear Box. Being that Ive aready had 2 gearboxes and the rattle still comes back I don't think that reapair will fix it permanently either. Just another bandaid!
Once again please keep them coming. I really do plan on taking this to the end either way.

OC_DMAX
11-19-2003, 16:53
Had the steering column rattle/thump on my 2000 Chev 2500 truck. They replaced the intermediate shaft at 10k miles. Fixed the problem. Sold the truck at 14K miles. Problem had not returned at that point.

Bought a 2002 Chev 2500HD D/A. Was I surprised to hear this same problem being described in these forums!!! Sure enough, my DMAX is at 14K miles and guess what?,,,,, it has the SAME steering column rattle/thump on turns as the 2000 truck did. I need to take it to the dealer for repair. The only difference from what I understand is that instead of replacing the intermediate shaft they are just lubing it!!

Your right, sounds like a bandaid. I sometimes wonder if the people that design and build these products ever actually own/drive them. I can understand a design problem the first year or two. But to have this problem surfacing after 4 years of production (of the C/K truck), I just shake my head in disbelief.

8.1PWR
11-20-2003, 06:52
I just had mine regreased in Sept. It is starting to come back also. Dealer told me they won't replace the shaft because it is the same shaft and won't be any different than the one that's in the truck.
Someone told me that they thought they had seen a heavy duty after maket intermediate shaft in a magazine. Anyone heard of this?

Paintdude
11-20-2003, 16:33
The guy at GM corporate told me that even if you replace the steering box and it has the code HD or CB on it, you need to put the bearing kit 26099860 in it as per instuctions to help remove the noise. It has fixed mine so far..

Cliffee
11-20-2003, 20:32
Paintdude,
How many miles have you gone so far since the gearbox bearing kit?

Paintdude
11-21-2003, 05:41
about 20,000

motovet
11-22-2003, 12:10
I first had the shaft replaced, rattle returned. The bearing kit, rattle returned. Then the "new" grease job. Now many miles later it has remained solid.I hope this is the end of it. Dealer did claim 100% success with this combo so far.

morg1
11-23-2003, 06:46
My 02 D/A has a definite rattle in the left front during a turn on a slightly rough road. Had the alignment guy at Les Schwabs check it out and he seemed to think it was coming from the tie rod end. He thought the ends were still dealer item, but was checking it out for me. No response yet. Greasing does seem to help short term. Dealer was susposed to check it out also, but no reply.

ZFMax
11-24-2003, 06:03
I got the bearing kit after multiple intermediate shaft replacements and lube jobs failed to make a difference. 30K miles later and all is well.

Cliffee
11-24-2003, 16:21
I just brought it at the Local GM rep's request to the supposed best front end guy in the Valley. (AZ) After driving it he said it he felt the clunking. He also said the Updated Grease kit always fixed this permanently in all others he has done. We went back into his stall together and I watched him pull out an almost "DRY" Intermediate shaft! Considering this is the 6th time I brought this in for the same thing (2 other dealers)and all the attempts before him he was pretty shocked. Another thing is the factory grease is white and the Grease Update is black. Guess what mine was?....White. Either he's an undercover GM cleanup man or the dealers Ive been to were totally incompetant, lazy or both. He installed the grease update and now it has a nice thick black coating and the rattle is completely gone. All I can hope for at this point is that it lasts for more than the usual 500-1000Mi.

Barc
11-24-2003, 20:53
In my humble opinion, greasing is the temporary fix to the permanent problem - it is the General's way of putting things off until you are off warranty and then hitting YOU in the pocketbook - instead of it being covered under your manufacturer's warranty.

Don't let your dealer talk you into anything, especially when you are close to going off warranty - get the right parts and get it fixed right, on the General's dime - I don't know about the rest of you guys but my payments are made with a little hard-earned cake - repair bill $$$ might just as well be used as disposable income for something you ENJOY doing?!?!?! :D

jobbie
11-25-2003, 12:34
if you have been having trouble with the steering "clunk" wait until around feb 2004.
the source for the steering columns have a new upper i-shaft that should do the trick.
i cannot say exactly when it will be ready for the dealers?

Cliffee
11-26-2003, 00:40
New I-Shaft. That's great news! I agree, the grease seems like a bandaid. I just question if it is really being done correctly. I watched this tech pull the shaft out and it had very little white grease on it. When he was done there was no comparison. This shaft was just replaced 1 week prior. Why was it so dry? Luckily for me GM just extended my warantee to 76kmi 6 years full bumper to bumper 0 deductable for free. They really are trying to "Satisfy".

[ 11-26-2003, 07:24 AM: Message edited by: Cliffee ]