PDA

View Full Version : Another Broken Tierod

BassinRVer
07-21-2003, 06:56
I went offroading again for the second time and again another broken tierod. My two broken tierods can not be isulated events, our tierods are tooooooo weak!!! How many others have broken their tierods? Anyone know of aftermarket tierods?

Silver Bullet
07-21-2003, 10:04
That sucks! :mad: Mental note to self...never let you drive my truck off-road!!! Check with Michael Tomac...I think he has beefed up tie rods. See your previous post from when you broke the first one.

BassinRVer
07-21-2003, 12:56
Thanks, SB. I have talked to Micheal Tomac on the phone. I will going over to Mike's Offroad in Hurst this week. He says he has aftermarket tierods for 2002 2500 but the book does not say 2500HD, so we shall she what he has.

[ 07-22-2003, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Turbo Al ]

Turbo Al
07-21-2003, 13:17
BassenRVer, where are they breaking. I do alot of off road driving over some pretty terrible stuff. To date I have only dented the exhaust and the driveshaft. Also please post the Part number so I can put one under my back seat because I will be in the middle of nowhere this fall and would hate to have to walk out.

GMCTRUCK
07-21-2003, 15:46
Originally posted by BassinRVer:
I went offroading again for the second time and again another broken tierod. My two broken tierods can not be isulated events, our tierods are tooooooo weak!!! How many others have broken their tierods? Anyone know of aftermarket tierods? Gee wiz, you didn't really think you could take your $40k+ heavy duty 4x4 off-road and not break something did you? They are inexcusably puny tierods and the ball joints don't look very beefy either. Somebody has to make stronger components.

ski
07-21-2003, 20:22
have not checked specifically, but MOOG is supposed to make lifetime replacement parts for our trucks. Any off road shop should know.

ChevyGert
07-22-2003, 07:03
BassinRVer,

Would this be the result of cranking your t-bars or have you not done that?

mtomac
07-22-2003, 10:03
BassinRVer is shearing the inner tierod at the threads just past the jam nut. I've beefed up the stock tierod thru the whole center section of the tie rod but I can't do anything with the threaded part because it still has to thread into the outer tierod. I beefed them up to prevent bending which is what normally happens to the inner tie rod. BassinRVer was the first person I know of that has actually broke the tierod in two.

I've even seen a new inner tierod not perfectly straight right out of the box. This could be why some guys have problems bending and others don't. If either or both tie rods aren't perfectly straight on a new truck and you stress them they will bend.

I checked with MOOG and anywhere else I could think of but there was nothing available for the HD's.

Cross over steering would get rid of the the tierods and a bunch of other stuff, but there isn't room unless you have a lifted truck.

2" keys, hardcore offroading, and 34x12.50x16 TrXus MT's probably aren't giving BassinRVer's puny factory tie rods much of a chance of survival.

BassinRVer
07-22-2003, 11:32
Thanks for summing up all the details Micheal Tomac. Micheal I went to the dealer yesterday afternoon and they have to order the tierod. But like I mentioned on the phone to you yesterday, the tierods is breaking where you mentioned it in the above reply.

Turbo Al - When I get my truck back I will let you know the part number.

[ 07-22-2003, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: Turbo Al ]

BassinRVer
07-22-2003, 11:38
I have talked to Bullet Proof Suspension Company who makes aftermarket tierods and such. They have not had a truck in their shop that is having this problem. What they want me to do is send them pictures of the front end arrangement and they will see what they can do. The tech mentioned that I need to jack up my truck in all four corner to see how things are interacting under different loads. With all the mods I have made the tierods could be slapping up against the anti sway bar or just binding up. I will not have a chance to do this for a couple of weeks.

[ 07-22-2003, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: Turbo Al ]

Lone Eagle
07-22-2003, 16:24
I used to see this when I was in the tire/alignment business. Sounds like too much angle to the dangle. I couldn't resist saying that. Sounds like the end can't pivot far enough. You need parts that haven't been designed and built yet. It sounds like you have the money so I have one suggestion. You have to decrease the angle of the tie rod assembly. Either lower the truck or put the outer end on top of the knuckle. I know that the hole is tapered and that is the problem. The knuckles will have to be drilled straight and sleeves fabed. A little costly I am sure. Later! Lone Eagle ;)

Turbo Al
07-22-2003, 16:49
BassenRVer Thanks in advance.
I shortened up the thread by removing a few of your signatures.