PDA

View Full Version : Windshield took a direct hit

jbplock
07-21-2003, 05:44
Yesterday my windshield took a direct fit from a stone kicked up by a passing car on the interstate (we were on our way home for the Dayton Air show - AWSOME). I now have a quarter-sized divot in the center of the windshield.

Anyone have experience getting a windshield replaced on a 2500/3500HD? I have full glass coverage so it's paid for, but I want to be careful picking somebody to replace it. I've also heard there is way to repair small, round breaks like the one I have. Anyone have any experience with this method?

ram/tx
07-21-2003, 06:24
jbplock==I had the same thing happen to me, only the rock hit right in the middle of my line of sight on the windshield. I had one of those quick fix's done on it and the results are the spot is still there, but it makes it allot smaller, but you can still see the spot where the rock hit it. If I had full glass coverage I would have a new windshield installed. But if yours is in the center of the windshild and you don't have to look at it all the time it might be ok. The only problem is the the spot will still be noticeable with the quick fix, just not as bad as it is now.

hoot
07-21-2003, 06:55
I recently had a new windshield installed in mine about a month ago.

Small chip turned into a 3 foot crack all the way accross.

Cost... $210 installed.. PPG OEM glass. It comes with the black rubber trim already attached to the glass.

A good installer installs one in a hour and you never know it was replaced. They prefer you let the truck sit for a couple of hours to let the sealant setup, otherwise if your windows are up and you slam the door shut, you could lift the windshield off the sealant.

With my commute though Chester, Pa and Philly on I-95, it's just a matter of time before I'll be putting in another one.

[ 07-21-2003, 07:03 AM: Message edited by: hoot ]

TXDMAX
07-21-2003, 13:18
I've had two replaced and need another. I've pd the same as Hoot about $200.

2K2AD
07-21-2003, 16:48
Put me down for the $200 club. Had a small chip turn into a monster crack, they replaced the entire windshield. Eight days later a caught another rock and bought my second one. The dude who put them both in could not stop shaking his head.

Kevin

rtquig
07-21-2003, 17:27
I've had 2 chips repaired by a glass guy, and so far they have not gotten bigger. It's been just about 1 year on one and 1 1/4 year on the other. As long as its not bigger than a dime they can usually fix it.

Hoppy1942
07-21-2003, 19:27
If ding is in any of the area covered by the windshield wipers, some insurance companies and states require replacement instead of repair. Just a thought....

TEXASTOUGHDMAX
07-21-2003, 19:56
With my insurance, a glass replacement is $50 but a glass repair is free, but the repair is not recorded as a "Claim". Too many Claims on an insurance policy will cause the company to either start upping your premiums, or drop you all together.

My advice: Get it repaired and save your claims for something major.

Just my $.02 worth.

jbplock
07-22-2003, 04:13
Thanks everyone for all the feedback! The collective wisdom of the forum is great. :cool:

I guess I would prefer a new windshield but a repair (if possible) might be OK since the "ding" isn't in direct view (just below the mirror). I'll call my insurance company today and see what the options are.

What has to be removed to get to the windshield? I took a quick look and it seems like the vent cowling has to come off. Windshield wiper arms also look like they would need to come off since they don't swing back and out of the way (?).

smile.gif

mackin
07-22-2003, 15:56
Clear nail polish will keep it from spreding most of the time ....

I have a chip in mine up in the tint .....

Had a chip in my car repaired prior to the trade in ..... The repairs of cracks,chips just aren't up to par ....Get a new windshield don't wast your time ....

Mac

2K2AD
07-22-2003, 17:21
jbplock,

They will remove the little piece of triangular trim that goes over the antenna, the hood cowling, the wipers (they have threadlock on them and they are a pain), the rubber gaskets on the door get pulled back and finally, there is a piece of trim that is unscrewed near the upper door hinges. They then use a series of specialty blades that cut through the rubber sealant - and viola! - it is free. The rearview mirror gets unplugged and pops off. The GPS (if so equipped) is not mounted to the windshield at all, it just hangs there. The new windshield should have an anchor for the rearview pre-installed, so he will not have to mount it himself. A quick removal of the remaining gasket material from the truck, a squirt of new sealant and the windshield is set in on the bottom tabs and dropped into place. As said before, less than an hour for the whole process and you are on your way. I have to agree with Mac (scary, huh) replace it and forget about it.

Kevin

jbplock
07-22-2003, 18:14
Kevin,

Thanks for the detailed explanation! :cool: The detail will help me "interview" the windshield Tech to see if he has worked on a 2500HD. You guys have convinced me that a new windshield is the way to go. smile.gif

dmaxalliTech
07-22-2003, 22:00
I would go to the body shop at your dealer and see who they use, most shops only use one or two installers and they are familier with those trucks. some glass shops might wave deductable also, I would ask them.

jbplock
07-23-2003, 04:38
Originally posted by dmaxalliTech:
I would go to the body shop at your dealer and see who they use... Thanks for the suggestion... I'll start with the dealer...

smile.gif

sdaver
07-23-2003, 04:50
must be an outbreak of this............got a 1/2 dollar size chip yesterday from a surburban in front of me.........right in my line of sight..drove me crazy this morning with the headlights and rain.....got a new one ordered from my body shop friend :D dave

Mark Heiken
07-23-2003, 08:50
Don't be afraid of a chip repair if it's not in your line of sight. Done properly they will keep it from cracking more. Not invisable but not bad if you don't have to look right thru it. I've had 5 or 6 repairs in some before replacement. Get a lot of chips in winter when they sand the roads.

HD-Nate
07-23-2003, 12:48
Originally posted by beeler:
Don't be afraid of a chip repair if it's not in your line of sight. Done properly they will keep it from cracking more. Not invisable but not bad if you don't have to look right thru it. I've had 5 or 6 repairs in some before replacement. Get a lot of chips in winter when they sand the roads. My concern with

Mark Heiken
07-23-2003, 13:12
You make a good point HD-Nate. I hadn't heard that before but it makes sense. That said, I have a good friend who runs a body shop. He does hundreds of chip repairs a year. Most are as someone said earlier covered by insuance with no deductable. Know that doesn't make it right tho.

I often get 4-6 chips in the winter months. Most springs it's time for a new glass. Windshield is getting pitted and hard to see thru with sun on it.