PDA

View Full Version : Argh! My '03 has the old NSBU Switch

AbqGeorge
07-20-2003, 16:45
Looks like I'll be visiting my local Allison Dealer here one of these days to pick up the "tan" one.

My build date was Aug, '02. Just didn't get around to looking at it until recently.

Diesel Dragon
07-20-2003, 17:20
Abqgeorge,

Whats a NSBU switch, where is it, whats it do, and what color should it be?

Thx just wondering

Bye for now Diesel Dragon :cool:

mackin
07-20-2003, 19:11
Originally posted by Diesel Dragon:
Abqgeorge,

Whats a NSBU switch, where is it, whats it do, and what color should it be?

Thx just wondering

Bye for now Diesel Dragon :cool: The NSBU switch is used by the TCM to determine what gear has been selected....

Tan (New Improved)yours might be black ,old ...

On the drivers side of the Allison ....

See ya Saturday at The CT Dyno Day II??

Mac :D :D :D

WhiteDuramax
07-20-2003, 21:24
How do you know if it is bad, or needs changed, or should all the old ones be replaced with the new "tan" switch?

conradv
07-21-2003, 10:50
Do a search of "NSBU" and you'll find a ton of posts.

tysmith
07-21-2003, 16:15
I noticed my NSBU was black as well. I wonder if they are the new redesigned ones, just black in color because it is OEM? I've run into this situation before on tractor parts, car parts, and plumbing parts, and in all instances I've been told the part was a different color because it is non-OEM. However, for $40 there will be one in my toolbox just in case. tongue.gif

As I'm sure many of you know by now, shifting into drive without pause from park will allow use of all five forward gears. Learned that one after 10 miles of winding out in third last winter, with many stops to #%!*^&. Ripped the gear selector into drive, and low and behold, fourth, then fifth! Still no indicator light, but it got me to the FORD dealership, yes, FORD dealership to get my $40 NSBU. GM wanted $117, $122, and $96 at three different dealers :mad: :eek: .

And with that my NSBU knowledge is complete...

Ty

dmaxalliTech
07-21-2003, 20:44
Its a money thing, dont expect to see the General use the allison nsbu switch anytime soon at least not on new trucks,, GM says, we already have one thanks. They are aware of the problem with them and apparently dont think thats a big enough deal to justify the extra .13cents . You will for sure get the part cheaper from allison, Gm has more channels to put the part through and you will pay for it in the end. I would be willing to bet those switches arnt over 15.00 direct from allison.....But we will never know. Best bet, if its black, replace it, dont take chances, if your local to me, your getting one under warr. Assuming truck is under 3/36 that is. The "tan" switch is the oem for Allison, It is sealed with a cap on the outside and a foam gasket on the inside (side against the trans) the contacts are heavier on the internals also. Much better switch all around. If you install one, make Darn sure you adjust it dead on, its critical on these to make sure its perfect, there is a tool for doint so but most dont have it....

To install, shift to nuetral with e-brake locked

remove switch connectors, shift linkage, and shift lever.

remove switch attatchment bolts

lightly file around the flats spots on the shift shaft, when the nut holding the lever is tighten, it peens it slightly, when you instll the new switch it could remove some material and cause slop, not good.

install new switch being careful not to remove metal locking tab, install and tighten 2 botls to trans. install shift lever and cables, connectors

Done.

AbqGeorge
07-24-2003, 22:07
dmaxalliTech,

Thanks for the install tips. Picking up a new one tomorrow. I think all the sloppy roads I ran on between here and Colorado this past winter are finally getting to it. A couple of times I've had to shut off the engine, cycle the shift lever a few times, and then restart to get a FULL display on the shift indicator. Weird, no codes ever set?

Geo.

Kleve
07-29-2003, 15:28
Tysmith

Please elaborate on the park to drive function that allows the use of all 5 gears. Can 4th be selected somehow? Would appreciate some details if you don't mind. Email at krecordsprint@earthlink.net

Thanks

Kleve

Kleve
07-29-2003, 15:31
Tysmith

Please elaborate on the park to drive function that allows the use of all 5 gears. Can 4th be selected somehow? Would appreciate some details if you don't mind. Email at krecordsprint@earthlink.net

Thanks

Kleve

Kleve
07-29-2003, 15:32
Tysmith

Thanks

Kleve