PDA

View Full Version : Chassis Lube Question

bora
07-27-2002, 16:29
I am about to change the oil on my truck
together with the oil filter.

The manual also recommends lubrication of the chassis.

In the front, I counted three grease fittings per side for a total of six. The manual also
recommends lubricating the parking brake cable guides, brake pedal springs, etc.

I have never owned a vehicle that required this sort of lubrication before. Can someone tell me what I need to do to lubricate the parking brake cable etc.

For the grease, what brand do you recommend, I was thinking Mobil 1 automotive grease and I believe the fittings are ZerK (??) fittings, would my local automotive store know what I am talking about when I ask for a grease gun with Zerk fittings?

Thanks as always,

Bora

ps. I love this truck, I don't even need to jack it up to change the oil!

86gmc
07-27-2002, 17:08
Look hard and you will find a total of 11 grease zerks on the front end. Some up above the skid plate if you have one on your 4x4. Read some of the other posts for exact locations.

3176CATPOWER
07-27-2002, 17:13
There is a plastic shield with 5 bolts below radiator,drop it and you should find 3 more,one being on idler.

Silver Bullet
07-27-2002, 21:10
I hit mine today...6 on the PS and 5 on the DS.

bora
07-28-2002, 18:08
Thanks to all of you, I did the chassis lube today. Getting to inner 3 lube points was hard and I removed the rad. shield to get to it.

The one that puzzled me was the silver metal cylinder with a lube point on top and a ball joint at the bottom ( no clue what this is called).

I had no idea how much lube to put in there so I took it easy. The ball joints were easy to see, the tie rods were OK.

On average I think I put in 3-4 squeezes of the grease gun except the ball joints where they were almost full after the first squeeze.

Thanks

Bora

Russ Denman
07-29-2002, 13:16
This is another reason for doing your own service. How many of the quicky lube places would remove the shields to get all the fittings? ;)